1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chicken Bleeding Below Rectum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spanglers1, Jul 17, 2018.

1. spanglers1

spanglers1 Hatching

Jul 17, 2018
    My hen is bleeding below the rectum. It is not the rectum. I am not sure what the cause is. Is anyone familiar with this. I am new to raising hens - she is 5 months old. Any advice would be appreciated. There appears to be a lot of blood but it is not actively bleeding.

The Phantom likes this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!! Premium Member

She could be close to laying and have laid a first egg. Have you seen any bloody eggs?

nightowl223 likes this.
  3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Are your other hens plucking her feathers? If so, I would spray her wound with Blu-Kote.

4. staceyj

staceyj Crossing the Road

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    The best thing to do to get the best help from the community is bring her inside, get her cleaned up and take photos.
    Nice clear ones.
    When you post them attach them as “full size image” instead of “thumb nail”.
    That was people can use the zoom feature and get started with guidance.

You’ll want to set her up inside tonight for sure Ina dog crate, box, laundry basket. Keep her warm and hydrated.

Things that come to mind immediately:
    Pecking wound
    Prolapse
    (Pecking wound because of prolapse)
    Fly strike
    Animal attack.

5. spanglers1

spanglers1 Hatching

Jul 17, 2018
    This is the best I can do photo wise. Hopefully someone can help. IMG_1424.jpg

The Phantom likes this.
  6. ShouldabeenaVET

ShouldabeenaVET Chirping

Dec 30, 2017
    wyoming/montanee line
    I would separate her, and use scissors to trim the feathers around the area. If you have blue Kote or vetracin. Im thinking some sort of wound, She looks healthy though no poop all over her rear. Antibiotic ointment. Use what you have and check her in the morning. Good Luck honey. Keep us posted

7. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!! Premium Member

Looks like picking. I agree with the others.

nightowl223 likes this.
  8. It could have started with one pinfeather that bled a bit. Then chickens pick at the bloody spot, and pretty soon, there's a big, ugly wound like she's got. Trim the feathers around the area, avoiding any other pinfeathers that might bleed more, clean the area (with soapy water then clean water, or with bactine, or with an iodine wash, anything to get the area clean), then dry her off and put some medicine on it. I use a Blukote type of liquid, called Farnam Blue Lotion. It comes in a small, dark blue jar, with a brush on the inside of the lid. It's great for sealing injuries, preventing more pecking while healing, and keeping out infection. Reapply daily - or more often, if needed: if she bleeds more, if she gets the area dirty, etc. - until she's healed up.

For now, I'd keep her inside, and watch the area closely for any indications of flystrike or infection. Give her treats like yogurt or scrambled eggs with garlic (it sounds nasty, but it's great for them), to boost her strength to fight off infection, and I'd give her another boost by putting vitamins & electrolytes in her water. I use the Durvet brand type, as it's in a tightly sealing jar, and has a measuring scoop that comes with it.

Specific items I mentioned:

https://www.farnam.com/all-products/wound-care/blue-lotion
    https://www.durvet.com/product/vitamins-electrolytes-100-gm/

ShouldabeenaVET and rebrascora like this.
  9. staceyj

staceyj Crossing the Road

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Good morning. I am so sorry I fell asleep last night but it looks like you got wonderful advice from BYC members. It does look like a pecking wound. Thank goodness you saw that she was in trouble!
    *I am a big fan of Veterycin spray gel. It runs around $25 dollars for an 8 oz. spray bottle but it goes a long way and really helps.
    Here’s a picture. F2118655-031D-4ED6-85B2-28C7F7C89A59.png

Young, healthy birds heal fast, but in my opinion it’s imperative that she be kept indoors for at several days (til the wound closes). Lots of protein in her diet will help her heal.
    Scrambled eggs, canned fish, yogurt (plain-0% fat)

The case for keeping her inside is three fold.
    1. To prevent the others from attacking the area again. Whether it’s covered with blue or not, chickens are brutal. You’re lucky they didn’t kill her.
    2.To keep dirt out of the open wound, preventing infection.
    3. What would really make this an even more awful situation is fly strike.
    An open wound is prime real estate for flies. Dark, moist, oozing with body fluids.... YUCK!
    Just ONE fly laying one batch of eggs in the wound would result in 150 maggots 24 hrs later. Imagine many more.

10. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    I don’t know much about nothing. But to me it looks like a abscess (from a feather) that bursted open. I see two holes the vent and something to the lower right. It needs to be clean and unnoticeable to the others (healed a bit) the others will fixate on it and peck her only making it a real BIG problem.

staceyj likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: