Chicken Bleeding...Don't Know What to Do??? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citychickydees, Dec 23, 2012.

1. citychickydees

citychickydees Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    I have a very small flock of three chickens. The chicken at the bottom of the pecking order is getting picked on by the one at the top. The feathers on her back are gone and she is now bleeding. I would separate them, but I have a bit of an issue. The chicken at the bottom (Pepper) and the chicken at the top (Penny) are codependent. Pepper is what we call a "scaredy-bird." Poor thing is terrified of her own shadow. She has been this way since I got her at four days old, its just who she is. Oddly enough, she finds comfort with Penny. She sleeps with her, goes to her for warmth, and looks to her when she's scared. I'm afraid that if I separate them, Pepper will just lose it emotionally.
    Also, what can I put on her back? I have rooster booster, but I don't know if I can put that on if she's bleeding.
    Please help! I am only seven months into raising chickens and still need help. THANK YOU!

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You should consider separating the bleeding bird. Chickens will keep pecking at anything red, so the picking may get worse.

3. citychickydees

citychickydees Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    I have separated Penny, the pecker. Pepper, the bleeder, cannot be alone without freaking out, so she is with my other very non-aggressive chicken. I put bactine and rooster booster on her back. Its worse than I thought :( Poor thing. Any other suggestions?

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    All you can do now is feed, water, and wait until the wound heals. Then put her back in the normal pen with the others and see if it happens again.

5. PaulRog

PaulRog New Egg

Dec 23, 2012
    WE are about 8 months into raising our first flock. We have 10 hens they are the easteregger breed. I have a question about this pecking bussines, I believe i figured out who the bullie is and removed her from the others. since then things seam to be calmer and less stressed in the coop and run. dose anyone know how to adjust the bullies attitude, Besides putting her in a pot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by