Chicken bleeding, feathers gone

Sonya.

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2018
Hi. I'm new here. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's happening to my hens. First, I had to many roosters (8 hens & 6 roosters). I had one hen about a month ago that had lots of blood coming from the back of her back. Around the area where the tail feathers stick up but like just the back, not the butt area. I assumed it was from to many roosters. We separated her & she seemed to heal up fine. I have since gotten rid of all of the roosters. But I noticed about 2 days ago another hen was bleeding in the same exact area. Today I have another one with the same thing. It really looks like all the feathers have been pulled out of that area & there is lots of meat exposed. I'm not sure if it's related or not but I have also lost 2 hens in the past week or less. One seemed fine but was dead in the nest box that morning. The other was sick acting for 2 days (not eating. Just sitting around with eyes always closed). But neither of the ones that died had the bleeding. If anyone has any idea what could be going on, please let me know.
Not sure if it matters but the hens are a year old & mixed breed. They're in a hen house & I don't think anything can get in with them.

Not an expert, but this sounds like what my mom's chickens did. It has to do with establishing pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom