1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken bleeding from mouth w/ swollen sinuses!!! *pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl8, Jul 11, 2008.

1. chickengirl8

chickengirl8 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    I have a hen who is about two and I noticed something I had never seen before the other day. What caught my eye was the fact that she seemed to be gasping for air. When I looked at her I saw that her sinuses were swollen (it looks like a marble is in her face) and that she was bleeding. I can't quite tell if the blood is coming from her mouth or nose, it looks like both. I haven't had someone able to help me yet to get a closer look. Also, in the corner of her eyes there are what look like bubbles.

I've seperated her from my flock. (I have her in my quarenteen area which is a shed with fencing around it.) I don't know what else to do. At first I thought that she might have a sinus infection but I don't know what would cause the bleeding. My mom didn't want to give her antibiotics incase it was a virus but we don't know why she would be bleeding.

Any suggestions? If I can't figure out what to do to help I may have to just put her our of her misery.

Here are some pictures (they turned out huge and I don't know how to shrink them):
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I would put antibiotics in the water and wash her up good and try and keep her clean. Give her electrolytes and soft foods yogurt, egg. Keep her quiet and calm.

Did she fight with another hen or roo?
    Can something wild get to her?

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Tylan 200 or Tylan 50 injectable..and fast.
    found at farm/feed/livestock stores in livestock section.
    separate this hen from the others.

there is a way to flush out sinuses using Tylan..contact dlhunicorn by pm..
    she has the name and contact number of a vet for instructions.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    separate this bird immediately from the others...you have a pm

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    dlhunicorn, Am I thinking what I think you are thinking? chicken girl, What state are you in?

6. chickengirl8

chickengirl8 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    I'm in Minnesota.

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I'll just say it..... ILT.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Crud. I agree, this is really serious.

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    This looks like the virolent strain.

10. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I gave her Peter Browns email and telephone number...this member is underage and needs her parents to take this up further and since it MIGHT be an injury that might have happened this will be easier for Peter to ascertain in a telephone conversation....
    chickengirl8 please let your parents read the pm and consult further with Peter... do leave a message at that telephone number after you have emailed and be sure to leave your telephone number.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by