Chicken bleeding from mouth w/ swollen sinuses!!! *pictures*

I just found this while looking up what ILT meant:

"ILT is caused by a herpesvirus that replicates within infected cells, specifically in the trachea. The virus kills the cells lining the airways, resulting in variable degrees of inflammation and breathing difficulties. Birds that recover often develop a carrier state and are potential sources of the virus.

ILT virus (ILTV) dies quickly in the environment. However, it can survive up to 100 days if protected by organic material, such as manure or sputum. The virus survives freezing temperatures. Carrier birds that continue to shed the virus in respiratory secretions are also a significant source of infection. ILTV is sensitive to common disinfectants, such as iodophores, quaternary ammonium and sodium hypochlorite."

After reading this and how even if the bird recovered she'd have a good chance of becoming a carrier and infecting others, I hate to say it but I would cull this hen and then disinfect my entire coop, run, etc.
This does seem super serious. Take the risk of losing one bird, or your whole flock. I know it sucks and we all love our girls, just MO.
Good luck with whatever you do and I hope the rest of your flock is safe.
*HUGS*

pips&peeps :

I'll just say it..... ILT.

I would have to agree
sad.png

This is sooo sad and scary.... being a fellow minnesotan myself. I have always feared something like that happening. I am thinking about not EVER going to another animal swap ever again even tho i have been very lucky so far doesn't mean my luck wont run out sooner or later. My thoughts and prayers go out to you (hugs)

Quote:
It is scary. All diseases are out there though and you can bring them home sometimes without knowing it. Feedstores, etc pretty much where some one else with chickens is walking around. That is why I vacciante for ILT. I would definatly talk to Peter Brown before you cull this girl
hugs.gif

Sorry I didn't post sooner. We came to the conclusion that it was best for her to be put down. She didn't seem to really be eating or drinking well so she was just slowly dying. We were also very worried about the possibility of her becoming a carrier bird.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom