Chicken Bleeding, losing feathers! Help!

Is the chick okay?

• She's Okay, just let her grow back her feathers, she will stop bleeding.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is a problem, i need to treat her (if i need to treat her, please tell me with what to do!)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • You don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chickenlover89

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
My dog got out and he chased one of my 12 week old chicks, he get her feathers, he didn't seem to bite HER, just her feathers, but she lost a lot of feathers, and there are just holes that are bleeding now, will she be okay? could he have bitten her, and she just isn't showing the fact that she is hurt? please help!

I would isolate the chick until she has healed otherwise the other birds might start pecking at her. Clean the wound and keep her environment as clean as you can. Put neosporin (make sure it is the non pain relieving kind - important) on the wounds. Are they puncture holes? If so, keep an eye out for signs of infection. You can put her back with the others when she is healed up you just don't want to have a bleeding bird in the coop.

Have you started working with your dog to be trained around the chickens? If you want any help with that let me know and I can send you lots of info.

Last edited:
I would isolate the chick until she has healed otherwise the other birds might start pecking at her. Clean the wound and keep her environment as clean as you can. Put neosporin (make sure it is the non pain relieving kind - important) on the wounds. Are they puncture holes? If so, keep an eye out for signs of infection. You can put her back with the others when she is healed up you just don't want to have a bleeding bird in the coop.

Have you started working with your dog to be trained around the chickens? If you want any help with that let me know and I can send you lots of info.
thank you, the neosporin that I have doesn't say that there is pain relief in it, but I don't know, and she isn't bleeding A TON, but there is a little blood coming out of all of the holes that she lost feathers on, I will try to get a pic tomorrow.

And I believe that I have read your info before, on a post about getting dogs used to chickens, but we have tried to train him, and he has been off a leash with them before and done fine (he is of course supervised) I just don't know what happened today.

It is probably not a big deal. My biggest concern would just be her getting pecked by the others. If anything just isolate her until the bleeding stops.

Just keep working with her. Sometimes stuff happens.

Last edited:
It is probably not a big deal. My biggest concern would just be her getting pecked by the others. If anything just isolated her until the bleeding stops.

Just keep working with her. Sometimes stuff happens.
okay, thank you, are you the one who has a pitbull (and 2 other dogs) who you trained to be with the chicks?

could I isolate her in the coop (in a way so the others couldn't get at her?

lol yes, I read about how you trained your dogs, I will try to get started doing that in about a month, but after what happened with my dog and my beloved chick today, I am going to wait a month to start to train him again!

Back
Top Bottom