Chicken Blisters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babsjo51, Mar 18, 2011.

1. babsjo51

babsjo51 New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    Any ideas of what is going on with 1 1/2 week old chicks that have what look like water blisters on their chests? One treatment I found online was to use a steril syringe to drain it, but first of all, I don't have one; second of all, how in the world would I get the lil' guys to stay still?! Need help please![​IMG]

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

This should actually be in the "emergencies & diseases" thread, but are you sure you're not just seeing their crops when they're full? (and btw, welcome to BYC!)

3. babsjo51

babsjo51 New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    I'm such an amateur that I don't even know what their 'crops' are! So no, not sure. And am new to this forum thing, so next time I'll figure out the correct topic! Thanks for the heads up. [​IMG]

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Is the blister opaque and obviously full of liquid? Or can you just feel the lump???

5. babsjo51

babsjo51 New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    Well, there are no feathers on the area, so I can see a lump, and when I touch it, it feels like if you had a blister on your heel; kind of mushy, but full of something. There isn't any puss or redness, so I'm not completely freaking out, but these are the 4 remaining chicks out of 14 in a little over a week. (The rest got through the chicken wire and basically 'froze' to death. It was like 1,000,000 degrees, but I guess it wasn't enough - so not related to the ensuing blisters).

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Sounds like they are little pigs. Pull the food tonight and check it in the morning they should all be gone then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by