Chicken blood is like jelly??????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laurengeeves, Feb 15, 2014.

1. laurengeeves

laurengeeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    I took my chicken to the vets after it's bum area looked painful and not right, found out its got an old ulcer that is infected and a slight prolapse, it's been put on medication and given till Monday to improve other wise she will have to be put to sleep, I've separated her and she's staying in my shed, there is newspaper on the floor and where she has pooed it had a slight watery red stained patch around it, I've looked today and it's the same but there are small red patches of raw blood, when I touched it it was like jelly? Can anyone help, I know it's not looking good for my girly

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Chicken blood is like our blood. When our blood coagulates it becomes jelly-like in the early stages of coagulation.

In this case it could be jelly like for a few reasons. Since she's on medication I'd not interfere with that, there can be side effects by doing so. I think the jelly like blood may be from her ulcer. But it could also be from the prolapse.

Why did your vet put her on medication? Is it antibiotics for the ulcer? Whereabouts is the ulcer located?

Best wishes.

3. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    Ulcer is on the bum or very near the bum, medication is for anti inflammatory, pain relief and antibiotics. I've only given her a bit more everything at night because she has to go longer with out pain relief. Things aren't improving, the bum area need to be washed as much as possible but it's still not improving, she is separated but if she is going to be put down id rather she spend a day back in her old life instead of having her last day being cooped up in my shed

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The problem with putting her back in the coop is that she may be pecked to death because of the red place on her bum. Have you tried very warm epsom salts soaks to her prolapse? Is there necrotic or dead tissue there? Will the prolapse stay in?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Was she diagnosed with perianal fistulas which results in severe lesions around anus(vent area)? Flush lesions(ulcers) with either chlorhexidine or iodine,both control bacterial growth. Trim feathers away from area. Remove all dead tissue as this carries bacteria. These ulcers can take several weeks to heal(7-9)so do not get discouraged.

Keep her warm,keep her calm/quiet,make sure she is eating/drinking as these are painful. Make sure she can roost at night to keep bottom of ground,keep her cage clean,you do not want her sitting in dirty shavings.

I agree with Eggcessive,do not put her back in coop,she will not enjoy being being pecked to death/have intestines pulled out b/c pf prolapse,this is guaranteed to happen.

Can you bring her inside home to monitor her condition and to ensure see is eating/drinking?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  6. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    She drinks and eats fine as when I go out there when it's dark she's always wants to drink and eat as soon as the light goes on, she seems a bit reluctant to move, she's so old, was an battery hen that got saved she must be 8yrs+. The vet said that it could be a cancer, I'll be home soon and ill tag some photos, sorry if they are grim. The vet also said that if she recovers then she might need a few stitches to hold the prolapse back in place. Prolapse was said to be caused where she is straining when going toilet

7. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    [​IMG]

All the other photos I have are bad, this is before I cleaned it fully, the red blotch is the bottom of the bum ( she's laying on her back)

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Wow,she is an old gal,you have a very kind heart to take her in and provide such excellent care,it was her lucky day when she came under your care. You have given her a great life!

Keep cleaning lesions,remove black tissue. Cancer is a possibility,and yes straining will cause a prolapse.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  9. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    I'm doing my work experience at the vets she goes to so I will take a better clean photo and show the vet to see if she has improved and I will ask about the treatment with the iodine, just so I don't put her through any more suffering incase it is cancer. I'll let you know tomorrow what happens, thanks for everything

10. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    She got put down, but I've gone out there today and a healthy big laying chicken had the same thing, I'm stuck in what to do, do you know if it is spreading? I'm stuck in what to do my partner says that she is happy and doesn't need to be taken to the vets but it looks worse! I can't get a photo as she is to fast and I can't take one on my own but it's more bloody than last time.. I'm shocked and don't know what to do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by