Chicken blood? *slightly graphic pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cat Water, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Is this blood? I found it on the roost this morning. It looks and feels kind of like red wax. I didn't see it yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was the only injury I found. I also didn't see this yesterday, but it is just a little bit of blood on her comb. She is a 6 month old Buff Orpington. She is near the top of the pecking order, and I don't think she slept in that spot last night. Could all that blood(if it is blood) come from that? Also, how did it start bleeding? How can I treat it?
    I couldn't get a really good picture, but this was the best I got. She just wouldn't stay still.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    From the picture, it truly looks like red candle wax to me. I don't think her comb would have bled that much, and if it did you would probably see evidence of it on her head and face. Are everyone's vents okay? The only other thing I can think of (if you're not burning candles in your coop [​IMG]) is that it could be bloody poop or discharge. As far as treating her comb, I'd put some neosporin or BlueKote on it. Good luck!

ETA: Do you have a heat lamp or anything in the coop that would melt plastic?

3. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    That's wax. It looks like it'll peel right off.

4. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    If there was that much blood coming from her comb then you would notice it ALL OVER her head. My top hen somehow got part of her comb detached last week and it was only a small part of the back of her comb and she bled alot. There was blood all over her head, her feathers were matted with it.

If that is blood (the color appears off to me, but it could be the lighting that makes it look that way) then I would check ALL your chickens vents and see what you find.

Good luck!

ETA: I looked at the pics again and I agree that it looks like wax to me too. IS there anything that could have melted?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks like candle wax to me.

That comb looks fine. That much blood, if it was blood (which I highly doubt) would probably come from a completely torn comb, such as a point missing or something.

6. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    It looked like and felt like candle wax or somebody melted a crayon. Is that waht normal chicken blood feels like? Nobody has candles or crayons. There is no heat lamp or anything red at all.

Last night my mom said she picked up one and "touched something I probably shouldn't have touched." I asked her what it was, and she told me it was thier vent. Could she have injured her? I can't really see thier vents from the excessive fluff, but I'll go check them.

Thanks for your help!

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Anyone around who might play a trick on you? Sure looks like candle wax. Try peeling it, see if it acts like wax.

If combs are anything like people's heads, you get a lot of blood from a small wound, and a hen shaking an injured comb I suppose could sling thwat much blood. It just doesn't look like blood. The comb looks like minor pecking injuries.

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet it's cold there, i guess the blood could be congealed/frozen. pick some off, bring it inside and see what happens. One of my comets got the back of her comb torn, and it was just a bitty cut, and there was blood EVERYWHERE. sprayed up on the window, under the roost, it looked like someone had massacred one of my ladies, but the only injury was from the dang roo. she healed up fine.

9. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    chickensducks&agoose :

I bet it's cold there, i guess the blood could be congealed/frozen. pick some off, bring it inside and see what happens. One of my comets got the back of her comb torn, and it was just a bitty cut, and there was blood EVERYWHERE. sprayed up on the window, under the roost, it looked like someone had massacred one of my ladies, but the only injury was from the dang roo. she healed up fine.

It is really cold here, the high last night was 7 above. And the extent of her injury was on the back of her comb.
    There was some blood on the back of her head, but she seems to have wiped it off.
    All of thier vents looked fine.

So if I assume it came from her comb, how can I treat it?

Again thank you for your help!​

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Put something like neosporin or it's generic on she will be fine. Just make sure what ever you use doesn't have the pain reliever that ends in caine. Also blue kote is good to use covers up the wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by