1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken "bonding"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newfmadible, Nov 9, 2008.

1. newfmadible

newfmadible Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    North central Ohio
    This is probably a silly question, but as a newbie just in the planning stages I want to get it all right. [​IMG] Do chicks raised in a flock with a variety of breeds bond with each other or do they need others of their same breed to bond with? Do they know the difference? I really wanted to try a variety of breeds but didn't want to get just one of each if that is a problem. Is it better to focus on just a couple of breeds and get more of them? I was hoping to get about 15 chicks. I would love even more, but not sure I have the correct amount of space.
    Also, and this is kind of morbid, do most of you order more than you plan on ending up with to take into account possible chick mortality and predator losses?

2. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    This is probably a silly question, but as a newbie just in the planning stages I want to get it all right. [​IMG] do chicks raised in a flock with a variety of breeds bond with each other or do they need others of their same breed to bond with?

they will "bond" with with any breed of chickens weather it is the same breed or a different breed(just like dogs).​

3. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    oh, and [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    They can bond with any other variety of chicken, though, I find that they will like some better than others... just like most any other creature. They have personalities and they either clash or mesh. I have only one Mille Fleur patterned hen and she is most sought after by ALL of the roos. She on the other hand only likes two of the roos.

And I've noticed that my La Fleche pullets like to hang out with my 4 Ameraucanas that are around the same size and color.

But mostly they group off based on age and who they were brooded with.

5. newfmadible

newfmadible Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the responses. Right now I am thinking of getting a couple each of about 7 different breeds. Any thoughts about ordering "extras" just in case??

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That's a tough one..... I've got a little over 30 birds, and for a number of reasons I have lost 4. You may get extras and have just that, extras [​IMG] If you can only have a certain number, I would shoot for that number.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by