chicken books....? any recommendations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spish, Jul 15, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    sorry i wasnt sure where to post this so forgive me if i put it in the wrong section...but im after some good chicken books to read (i love reading before bedtime)
    the past few ive bought have been a bit old fashioned and, well, boring....so im looking for some 'newer' chicken books, with just general info in them (housing, feeding, flock mlanagement, choosing chickens, breeding, types of chickens etc)

so can anyone recommend a good one? (or two or three..........[​IMG]

2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    also any kind of book any self sufficiency [​IMG]

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Why spend the money? You can get all the info needed right here. Atleast, your dealing with hands on chicken folks.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i like reading in bed before i go to sleep...its a sort of 'destress' at the end of the day...cant haul my computer into bed with me [​IMG]

5. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I've got Storey's Guide to Poultry Breeds. It's got a lot of info on chicken, ducks, geese and other poultry breeds. Lovely pictures!

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:You need a lap top. Just kidding I understand.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a laptop too...but worried if i fall asleep on that i get a screen stuck to my face, at least falling asleep with a book is less painful(!) :-D

8. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    1. Storey's Guide to Chickens by Gail Damerow
    2. The Joy of Keeping Chickens by Jennifer Megyesi
    3. Homemade Living: Keeping Chickens by Ashley English
    4. Chickens in Your Backyard by Rick and Gail Luttmann
    These are my top 4, so I hope it helps! [​IMG]

-Shannon [​IMG]

9. megs1001

megs1001 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I'll have to ask my mother what the name of the book I sent her is.
    I went down to the bookstore (In my case, Half-Price Books) & flipped through all of the chicken books. Some of the ones with the better, more in-depth information were rather dry & had illustrations instead photographs. I'm very visual-oriented, lol. I want to see what they're talking about. Since this was our first time raising chickens, I went with a somewhat basic, but still broad-spectrum book (with lots of pictures!) [​IMG] Everything was broken up into convenient little segments.

10. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Order all the Hatchery catalogues. They are full of things that you never knew about. Other wise: A Dummies book for backyard chickens is very thorough and BASIC. The fine points are gotten with time and reading things like this board. Dont worry too much, and dive in. Chickens have a knack for survival. Getting to know their antics, will raise your interest more than you think..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by