chicken books???????????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sloallie10, Jan 30, 2009.

1. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Wright now i have 4 chicken books (2magazines, 2 books) and i was wondering if any one could tell me what are some great books???

i have:
    Keeping Pet Chickens
    Living with Chickens
    (hobby Farms) Chicken magazine
    and a murray mcmurry hatcharie magazine
    In the mail: Keeping Chickens

thanks

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Storeys A Guide To Raising Chickens, by Gail Damerow
    The Chicken Health Handbook, by Gail Damerow
    Keep Chickens, by Barbara Kilarski

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i have a few chicken books also, my favorite is Hobby Farms Chickens Tending a Small Scale Flock for Pleasure and Profit by Sue Weaver. (Edited to ad: this has alot of info on all kinds of chickens, behavior, diseases, raising them, caring for them, etc)

Hobby Farms Magazine has a great website and lots of good links and info on there. I love there magazine, I have had Grit Magazine, Mother Earth News, Progressive Farmer, but Hobby Farms Magazine I will never get rid of my subscription to it. It is my favorite, it covers so much of what we do here on our home place and what we love!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    i was thinking of geting storys guide to rasing chickens and the hobby farms book one.....

[​IMG]

5. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Strouds Digest on the "Diseases Of Birds" . By Robert Stroud. He was known as "The Birdman Of Alcatraz" in a movie but was actually one of the foremost authorities on the health and well being of birds. You can find this book at bookstores, E-Bay, Amazon or many other on-line sales places.

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds is a gorgeous book with good info.
    I really enjoyed Hobby Farm: Living Your Rural Dream for Pleasure and Profit , also. They are both by Carol Ekarius.

7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:I wondered about Hobby Farm"Living Your Rural Dream for Pleasure and Profit", you really liked it? Might have to get that one [​IMG]

8. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I always check the books out from the library before I decide to buy them. Hobby Farm was one of the first I got on the subject.

Here's my review of it on the Shelfari website: “Fun book to read. Lots of beautiful photos and good information, although not in depth, just a decent overview of farm life. Has some receipes for canning and milk products too."

Here's the link to the book on Shelfari. http://www.shelfari.com/books/812589/Hobby-Farm-Living-Your-Rural-Dream-for-Pleasure-and-Profit

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:Thanks, that is a good site to share with all of us. I have done that, go to the Library, saves money [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by