1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken born with one eye and cross beak pic later

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    One of my BA's hatched yesterday with one eye and cross beak. has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    If so, how did you solve, and or do you still have the chicken as an adult bird?

2. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I have a crossed beak rir hen. I have heard that a lot of them don;t even make it that far and if they do they do need special treatment. My hen has to have her beaked trimmed every so often. She also needs to be able to eat from a deep dish as she can not peck at things to well. Other than that she just gets extra time alone where she can eat and does not have competition. I have never dealt with a chick with only one eye so not sure but I think it would do fine.

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Were they from shipped eggs?Last year I shipped several dozen and had reports of this happening a few times. None of the ones I hatched had any turned out like that. Someone told me that it can be caused by x-ray machines by the P.O. I started putting "DO NOT X_RAY" on the box and had no more reports of it. I have not done that this year. I wonder if I should?

4. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Just to let you know I am an x-ray tech and that an x-ray would not cause a cross beak problem. There is not as much radiation being administered as everyone thinks. Yeah there may be more than a normal x-ray but not much more. There are a lot of regulations that have to be followed and there is a certain dosage that is allowed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by