1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken bottom (graphic images)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by orchidgazer, Aug 6, 2011.

1. orchidgazer

orchidgazer Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Baytown, Texas
    Hi everyone! I posted a question last week about this poor hen. She was pecked by other hens. I found her laying on the ground. I am cleaning her bottom several times a day w/ saline solution. I put triple antibiotic ointment all around her vent, and really slather it on all over her entire rear and stomach. Several days ago, I bathed her very well w/ betadine surgical scrub. Flushed the wound w/ povidone iodine, patted dry, then applied a good thick coat of wound cote. I bathe her every other day. She is in a pen in my bedroom. She is eating like a horse! I am mixing tetracycline powder in her water. She appears to be happy and content, until... she needs to poop. She starts clucking, puffs up, closes her eyes, bears down, and tries. I can hear gas passing. The poop comes out very slowly or stays in her vent. I flush it out w/ saline. The poop doesn't seem to be very hard at all. I'm wondering if when she was attacked, her vent was traumatized to the point that it is in a "scab" state?? I can see a little piece of skin hanging off on one side. Is it possible that it just hurts her too much to poo? Am I giving her a reason not to push hard, due to my flushing every time she needs to go? I forgot to mention, the poo smell. Really, really bad. Could she be constipated? I know my vet would tell me to put her down, so I didn't even bother calling him.
    What do ya'll think? Thanks so much for taking the time to read!

Respect any and all animals as you would yourself. The earth was theirs long before it was yours.

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    poor girl! Sounds like you are taking really good care of her, she is quite lucky to have you! It could be she has scabbing that is preventing her from pooping normally.. it is hard to say though. Maybe you could give her a chicken enema, sounds gross, but I had a kitten that was always constipated, poop dribbling out- very icky- we started giving him daily enemas and he cleared right up in a week or two and could poop normally again. Hopefully some other folks will chime in with some advice. Good luck!

3. orchidgazer

orchidgazer Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Baytown, Texas
    thanks so much for your feed back. I'm gonna do it right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by