Chicken breathing from mouth and watery white feces or green feces. What could it be???

John Deere Boy

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2021
Hello I’m new to the BYC website, I noticed about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks ago my 7 month old Speckled Sussex pretty much stopped eating (she continued drinking though) and wasn't acting herself. I also noticed she had green looking feces and/or watery white feces. These 7 month old chickens are getting bullied by older birds so I thought she had stopped eating since she was getting bullied. So what I did was I separated the older chickens from the younger chickens for a set amount of time each day so the young ones could have some time to eat and drink. I noticed the 7 month old Speckled Sussex started to slowly act herself although still having the green or white colored feces like stated above. But she got worse these past few days. She is now what looks to be breathing from her mouth, she is hanging her wings slightly down the side of her body, and still has the watery white feces and/or green looking feces. Good news is she is still eating and drinking. Also if wondering the weather has been back and forth between 25-55 degree Fahrenheit with some rain and snow. Also this chicken I believe has not started laying eggs just like her other 7 month old sisters. If you have any question or have any answers to my questions I will try to navigate back here so I can respond. I can also try to send more pictures if needed (hopefully the pictures work). Thanks :)

Attachments

• 74433CE7-DEC4-4F5A-A2C1-8513103CC2FC.jpeg
    74433CE7-DEC4-4F5A-A2C1-8513103CC2FC.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 32E0ABF8-1978-4DBC-92AF-A3D1DC5AD0DA.png
    32E0ABF8-1978-4DBC-92AF-A3D1DC5AD0DA.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • D537AE6D-2BAD-403C-80F0-857E4027D03A.png
    D537AE6D-2BAD-403C-80F0-857E4027D03A.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
Hello I’m new to the BYC website, I noticed about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks ago my 7 month old Speckled Sussex pretty much stopped eating (she continued drinking though) and wasn't acting herself. I also noticed she had green looking feces and/or watery white feces. These 7 month old chickens are getting bullied by older birds so I thought she had stopped eating since she was getting bullied. So what I did was I separated the older chickens from the younger chickens for a set amount of time each day so the young ones could have some time to eat and drink. I noticed the 7 month old Speckled Sussex started to slowly act herself although still having the green or white colored feces like stated above. But she got worse these past few days. She is now what looks to be breathing from her mouth, she is hanging her wings slightly down the side of her body, and still has the watery white feces and/or green looking feces. Good news is she is still eating and drinking. Also if wondering the weather has been back and forth between 25-55 degree Fahrenheit with some rain and snow. Also this chicken I believe has not started laying eggs just like her other 7 month old sisters. If you have any question or have any answers to my questions I will try to navigate back here so I can respond. I can also try to send more pictures if needed (hopefully the pictures work). Thanks :)
Hello, is there some hello “goo” inside her mouth?

If it is, then it’s most likely wet fowl pox, which is spreadable. BUT the wet fowl pox (unlike the dry fowl pox) is deadly, and unless caught super early, the chickens chances if surviving are very slim. But this is if she has the “goo” in her mouth

If it is, then it’s most likely wet fowl pox, which is spreadable. BUT the wet fowl pox (unlike the dry fowl pox) is deadly, and unless caught super early, the chickens chances if surviving are very slim. But this is if she has the “goo” in her mouth
Thanks for replying, I can’t go out to the chicken shed right now to check but later I will try to check her mouth to see if she has anything abnormal in there and will report back later.

I am not seeing anything in the beak from the pictures so far. But it is good to look inside the beak and throat for anything unusual. Her poop is not normal. Green can be from not eating, and yellow urates can be from a liver issue or reproductive issue. So none of your 7 month olds are laying yet? That seems odd. What do you feed them? How does her crop feel early in the morning before she eats or drinks? It should be empty. Can you isolate her in a dog crate and feed her several times a day with moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg, and you also can alternate with tuna or a little ground meat. If you have not wormed recently, I would worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and again in 10 days. You could also use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days. Corid for possible coccidiosis might also be considered.

I am not seeing anything in the beak from the pictures so far. But it is good to look inside the beak and throat for anything unusual. Her poop is not normal. Green can be from not eating, and yellow urates can be from a liver issue or reproductive issue. So none of your 7 month olds are laying yet? That seems odd. What do you feed them? How does her crop feel early in the morning before she eats or drinks? It should be empty. Can you isolate her in a dog crate and feed her several times a day with moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg, and you also can alternate with tuna or a little ground meat. If you have not wormed recently, I would worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and again in 10 days. You could also use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days. Corid for possible coccidiosis might also be considered.
Correct, I don't think they are laying yet (possibly from being stressed from being bullied?). I had been feeding them Producer's Pride 16% Layer Feed Mini Pellet with a mix of Kalmbach Henhouse Reserve but within the last week I switched only the younger 7 month old chickens to a Purina Flock Raiser 20% Crumble. I chose to give them the flock raiser since it had lower calcium and I thought they didn't need the higher calcium diet since the younger 7 month old chickens weren't laying. I have actually never checked a chicken crop before but I will be sure to watch some videos and check her crop in the next coming days. Also these 7 month old chickens would go out and free range but in the past week the one sick 7 month old Speckled Sussex hasn't been flying over the fence to free range. I will be sure to isolate her in a separate cage in our garage and give her some moistened chicken feed. The last bag of feed I had gave them it did have 1 pound of food grade Diatomaceous Earth mixed in with 50 pounds of feed. Thanks for the medication ideas you gave me I will keep those in mind :)

I just checked the inside of her mouth and I did not see anything that stood out to me. I also just scheduled an appointment with a vet that works with farm animals including chickens. I also separated her from the flock and is now in her own cage with food and water in the garage

Back
Top Bottom