1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

chicken breathing heavily through mouth Idk what to do for her

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shan04, Jul 23, 2014.

1. shan04

shan04 Chirping

Mar 23, 2014
    My Cochin hen is breathing heavily through her mouth, Idk for how long as they free range and I regretfully don't keep the best eye on them I just notice when things health wise aren't normal, but I can say it's been going on all day, she's now quarantined to a pen to see if she eats and drinks and has normal stool which I'll check in the morning. When she clucks she sounds horse and like she's not feeling good she is still active and alert but is breathing with her mouth open continuously, I haven't wormed them in quit awhile cause I can't seem to find a wormer safe for egg consumption I thought maybe they had mites as some of my chickens were losing feathers but I haven't seen mites on them and all feathers have grown back I would like to dust them anyways but they don't sell anything for that where I live. No discharge or anything coming from eyes mouth or nose checked mouth no blockage. DOES ANYONE ANY IDEA WHAT MIGHT BE GOING ON WITH HER?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Some chickens breath through their mouth when it's real hot outside. They also open their wings away from their body to try and keep cooler.
    However, I believe your hen might be eggbound. Try soaking her in a container of warm water up to her sides, gently massage her underside while she's soaking. Do this for about twenty minutes and see if she lays an egg for you.
    You can worm your birds with Rooster Booster wormer, no egg withdrawal...use Flubenvet if you live in the UK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: