Chicken breathing heavy, any advice?!

Pippin quail

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Central Alberta, Edmonton area
Hi there, I have an almost one year old pullet who is breathing heavily and not making and chicken noises. When she makes a noise she almost sounds like a goose honking, but mostly she's just opening and closing her mouth but no sounds coming out other than the heavy breathing. Not sure if she's sick (she has a small amount of clear discharge from her nose) or something is stuck. I tried to check in her throat and couldn't see anything.... Not sure what else to do!?

Here's a video I uploaded to YouTube and I'm trying to get another one of her when she's making noise.

Edit: here's a second video

How's the ventilation in your coop?
Have you added any new birds recently?

I would try looking inside her beak again.

Respiratory illness comes to mind since she's got a discharge from the nostrils. Which illness, it would be hard to know unless you get some testing. An antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin may help treat symptoms, but it's not a cure if you are dealing with disease.

Do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.

How's the ventilation in your coop?
Have you added any new birds recently?

I would try looking inside her beak again.

Respiratory illness comes to mind since she's got a discharge from the nostrils. Which illness, it would be hard to know unless you get some testing. An antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin may help treat symptoms, but it's not a cure if you are dealing with disease.

Do check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.
That chicken definitely was sick with something contagious. I'm guessing something from wild birds because we have tons of geese, ducks, swans and other little birds migrating back and hanging out in the water around our property.
The chicken in the videos seems to be recovering with the aid of garlic and some other herbs I gave her. I don't have access to antibiotics here unless I take her to the vet, which I'm not going to do for a chicken at this point. I had another hen get it and she went downhill fast and died yesterday. But she was older and clearly less healthy to start.
No one else seems sick and I'm hoping if I keep up with the garlic and other natural remedies and give them extra vitamins in their water it helps their immune systems fight off whatever it is!

Hey pippin quail. I have a chicken in a similar situation who is not yet laying. She is 21 weeks. How did the chicken do? What did you do to help? Did you ever find out what it was?

Hey pippin quail. I have a chicken in a similar situation who is not yet laying. She is 21 weeks. How did the chicken do? What did you do to help? Did you ever find out what it was?
Sorry to hear about your chicken. I'm not much help, unfortunately. I isolated my chicken and gave her raw garlic and some vitamins in her water. She started to recover after that but I had another hen who started the same thing a few days later and she didn't make it. I had a few other chickens sound raspy and sick, I think in my case it was just some respiratory virus. Only one died and the rest all fully recovered.
Hope your chicken is doing ok and you're able to help her. Maybe antibiotics would help if you can get them, I usually go the raw garlic route and for most illnesses that has cured everyone!

Sorry to hear about your chicken. I'm not much help, unfortunately. I isolated my chicken and gave her raw garlic and some vitamins in her water. She started to recover after that but I had another hen who started the same thing a few days later and she didn't make it. I had a few other chickens sound raspy and sick, I think in my case it was just some respiratory virus. Only one died and the rest all fully recovered.
Hope your chicken is doing ok and you're able to help her. Maybe antibiotics would help if you can get them, I usually go the raw garlic route and for most illnesses that has cured everyone!
Thanks so much for the response!. She is no longer wheezing but very heavy breathing with an occasional sneeze.. I have been giving her VetRX, nutri drench, garlic, eggs, coconut oil......She seems very lethargic today. Eating and drinking very little. She definitely breathes much heavier when I pick her up and after she eats. Almost like she is panting hot, but more labored. She has lifted up her back feathers, and moves her whole abdomen when breathing. I'm torn about taking her to the vet. I think if she does not improve by tomorrow I may go ahead and take her. Just hate to use antibiotics. My gut says this is some type of respiratory issues (i think i've eliminated crop issues, ascites, egg bound (she has never laid). This batch of 15 pullets has give me more trouble than any other batch. Very odd. I had one die about day 10, and 2 other were sick. One went to Vet and was put on antibiotics and has fully recovered, on I isolated and gave nutri drench and fully recovered. Those 2 never really showed signs of respiratory disease, they had other issues. So keeping fingers crossed my beautiful Lady Bird recovers too :)

Back
Top Bottom