1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken breathing heavy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KatieRice, Feb 8, 2017.

1. KatieRice

KatieRice Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Shaftsbury, VT
    Hi, we've got an 8 month old hen who escaped the run and in the process she broke her wing. We've had her separated for about a week with her wing braced so she can heal. I did bring her outside a few days ago for a little socialization but kept her in a separate crate. Anyway, I noticed yesterday and again this morning that she is breathing a bit heavier than usual. I don't hear any raspiness or wheezing but it looks like she's sucking in a lot of air, and it looks quite difficult for her.

Not sure if it's related but she's also been extra defensive the last few days, making lots of "stay away" sounds when I reach in for food, water, eggs, or her; and also getting very fluffy.

I did replace the brace yesterday (which is just vet wrap. Could it be too tight?

Any help is appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have any puffy places under her skin which could be air from a leaking air sac? They look like a balloon under the skin. Chickens have air sacs all along their bodies, and sometimes with blunt trauma they will get one of these, similar to a collapsed lung in a person. I would check to see that you can get a couple of fingers under her figure 8 bandage. Look at her possibly being overheated also.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by