Chicken breathing loudly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by louiseschwieker, Oct 5, 2016.

1. louiseschwieker

louiseschwieker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    I have a 6 month old rooster who has had breathing issues for a long time. When he was about 3 or 4 months old, he started to make loud breathing aounds randomly. I just assumed it was a reapiratory infections so i went ahead and treated the whole flock because of how long they've been with him. After treatment, he continued to breathe loudly and i kept looking up things that it could be. I found pages on gapeworn and all that stuff so a few months after the respiratory treatment (about 4 weeks ago), i treated the whole flock with a goat wormer for the right dose for chickens. After that treatment he still continues to breathe like that. Whenever he crows he extends his neck and makes the "whoo" breathing sound. He acts like everyobe else, pecking and scratching around. He does hos rooster business and eats and drinks like the rest of the flock. Is there something i didnt treat him for or is it something like "chicken asthma". Any help would he greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a video of his breathing?

Do you notice if he does this after he eats or is it all the time?

3. louiseschwieker

louiseschwieker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    Every time i try to take a video he doesnt do it. Ill keep trying to get one though. And he does it after he crows mostly

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by