chicken breathing through her mouth — yawning

poonam

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Oakland, CA
Hi folks! i'm new to the backyard chickens forum.

I have a chicken who occasionally breaks into a long series of what looks like yawns, closes her eyes while she's at it. I don't think it's just that she's sleepy, it looks more like she's gently breathing through her mouth. She has no issues with eating or drinking water, though it seems like she's drinking a really large amount of water, and her poop is watery. The main faecal matter is not runny, there's just a lot of water in her poop. She seems pretty healthy overall, with the exception of her bouts of mouth breathing and napping. she seems a little less perky than our other healthy chickens. There is a little one in the coop with her as well, and she seems to be doing a similar thing.

Any ideas on what it might be?

Thank you!

Poonam

Kind of sounds like Gapeworm to me

And Hello
frow.gif
from Hesperia,CA and
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
thanks folks! do you think it's likely that she has gapeworm even though her appetite is fine? have y'all tried any natural treatments (garlic, DE, olive oil) that has worked? I'm also feeling like the area around her eyes seem a tad swollen but i may be paranoid.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. Sorry to hear about hen. You should post her problem the Emergencies/Diseases section on the index page. You will probably get more help there.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom