Chicken Breed Additions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenlover09, Aug 20, 2014.

1. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Hi everyone! Sorry if this post doesn't make very much sense, i'm kind of in a rush, just have to finish something else.
    Once we move the coop to the back of our house, and build an attached run/bigger coop, we might add on to our flock (at the most 10-12 chickens). Right now, we have 5 chickens (chicks), 3 silkies, and 2 normal laying hens (not sure of the breed), The silkie's are very friendly with each other and me (except one of them absolutely hates being picked up or touched by me, but she loves the other chicks).

First, does anyone know any online hatchery websites (in the US)? I live in California. There is a feed bin where I live, and they sell chicks and chickens, but I sort of want to get a special (er) chicken. Please list the website and say you're experience with them, and how do they get the birds to you?

What chicken breed do you reccomend? I don't want any meat birds, just egg layers. Well, I would like a decent egg layer, but I would be fine if the bird only laid an egg a year:) (I bought chickens as pets, but eggs are also a benefit). I'm looking for some interesting looking chickens, different then a basic chicken, like someone happenly breaks into my backyard and says "look at that awkward/cool/interesting (lol sorry for my "amazing" word choices of a chicken) chicken!"

Any opinions and help would be greatly appreciated, for me and my fluffy flock!!!!!

2. cash money

cash money Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    I order from cackle hatchery and they have many breeds to choose from and a lot of bargain specials one called the rainbow pullet special sounds perfect for you its 15 assorted pullet for 30:00 dollars

3. chickenlover09

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks.

Do you also know a website where I can buy pullets or already laying hens?

4. cash money

cash money Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    I don't know a good one but you can try craigslist in the spring

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Shipping adult birds is tricky and expensive. Some hatcheries offer started pullets, but they're very limited on the breed, and are often debeaked [​IMG]. If you want started birds, best thing is to list your location on your profile, and start cruising your state thread in the "Where am I" section. Checking your local Craigslist is a good idea, also.

6. chickenlover09

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks. I think I might start with baby chicks then, because I want a specific breed. I found a website called California Hatchery, that I might order off of (because I live in California and it won't be a long shipment).

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by