Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Aug 13, 2015.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    With their characteristic forward sweeping crest, the Appenzeller Spitzhauben is an unusual looking bird. The breed originated in the Appenzell canton of northeast Switzerland and seem to date as far back as the 16th century, where similar birds are described as being developed in the local monasteries. Switzerland considers the Appenzeller Spitzhauben to be the national chicken of their country and the breed takes their name from the ceremonial hats worn by woman of the region, called Spitzhauben (pointed hood) which are reminiscent of the breeds large forward sweeping crest.

The breed fell into disfavor after WWII and was at the brink of extinction when a German breeder, Kurt Fischer, imported all three of the original colors (black, golden spangled and silver spangled) into Germany in 1953, he is credited with saving the breed. The silver spangled version was also imported in to the US in the 1950’s, and it is the primary color found in the US today. The breed is not currently recognized by the APA, but is in the UK.

Besides the characteristic crest, Appenzeller Spitzhauben have "V" combs, blue legs, and white skin. They are rather small birds, are very active and alert,and are good flyers and foragers. They do not take well to close confinement. They are cold hardy, and though they are primarily an ornamental breed today, the hens are good layers of medium-large sized eggs and are non-setters.

Details:
    Breed purpose: Ornamental
    Comb Type: V
    Broodiness: Non-setter
    Climate Tolerance: Average
    Weight: Roosters 4.5 lbs, Hens 3.5 lbs.
    Egg Productivity: Good
    Egg Size: Medium
    Egg Color: White

BYC Breed reviews:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/appenzeller-spitzhauben

General breed discussions & FAQ threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/164012/spitzhaubens/0_20
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730972/appenzeller-barthuhner-thread/0_20
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270338/brabanters-and-spitzhaubens-the-differences-pic-heavy/0_20

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Rooster @PhoredaBurds

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Rooster @Phoredaburds

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Rooster2 @CrazyTalk

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Pullet @stoneunhenged

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Pullet @DeannaOR

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Flock @flitter

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Flock @flitter

[​IMG]
    Appenzeller Spitzhauben Flock @Phoredaburds

Do you own Appenzeller Spitzhauben? Are you a Appenzeller Spitzhauben breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Wow, what gorgeous birds! I want one...or two...or five. So glad to see these as the featured breed focus!

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

The first breed focus that attracted me enough to click on it! Ironically, I have been slightly intrigued by Spitzhaubens lately after seeing the silver spangled variety in a catalogue. The funny part is that I always thought crests on chickens were ugly until we got a Cream Legbar, and then suddenly "hairdos" were not only acceptable but adorable! I still can't manage to warm up to Polish, but breeds with smaller crests are fabulous. [​IMG]

-Alexandra33

4. CarnyCat

CarnyCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    In the woods of Ga
    One of my Spitzhauben hens is sitting on eggs right now, I have had great luck with "non-broody hens'' . Lucky me![​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I hope you'll share pictures of the chicks when they hatch, that would be fun to see!

6. Bine

Bine Chillin' With My Peeps

7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

My most promising pullet above.

I agree with CarnyCat - I've found mine to readily sit if eggs aren't collected. They've raised a couple of clutches of eggs this year.

And my roo in the snow last winter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    3 people like this.
  8. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge True BYC Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    So of the ones that set eggs.... How do they do in a chicken run? Do they need more space than breeds like the BA or BO?
    I have Hamburgs as well and they are said not to do well in confinement but mine have done fine.
    I think the appenzellers are interesting with the "hairdo" that still lets them see.

9. MoccaLeBoube

MoccaLeBoube Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Hey all! Here's mine. 7 weeks old. Male or Female??

1 person likes this.
  10. McKennA

McKennA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

We have a Spitz that we absolutely adore! She is everyone's favorite, very sweet, will follow you around, and jump up on your lap or shoulder. We have a run that is 20 X 10, that thirteen chickens spend most of their day in and have not had any issues. We let them free range 1 to 2 hours a day, and that seems to keep everybody happy. No eggs yet, mine are 16 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by