Chicken Breed Focus - Brabanter

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Brabanter breed originated in the historic region of Brabant in the Netherlands. It is a very old breed, the oldest known image of one is in a painting of 1676 by the Dutch artist Melchior d'Hondecoeter. The breed quickly gained popularity, but became nearly extinct around the early 1900's. Black and Cuckoo Brabanters were shown at the first German poultry exhibition in Saxony, in 1854. A bantam variety of Brabanter was created in around 1934, by cross-breeding the standard-sized Brabanter with bearded bantams of the Polish breed.

Details:

Breed Purpose Ornamental
Comb V-Shaped
Broodiness Seldom
Climate Tolerance All Climates
Egg Productivity Medium
Egg Size Large
Egg Color White
Breed Temperament Friendly, Flighty, Bears confinement well, Shy
Breed Colors/Varieties In the US: Cream and Gold Outside of US: Self-Black, White, Blue-Laced, Cuckoo, Golden Black Half-Moon Spangled, Silver Black Half-Moon Spangled, Yellow White Half-Moon Spangled, Golden Blue Half-Moon Spangled, and Lavender.
Breed Size Large Fowl

Pic by @Torch404

Pic by @allen wranch

Pic by @allen wranch

Pics by @Ariel188

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/brabanter

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270338/brabanters-and-spitzhaubens-the-differences-pic-heavy/0_30

Do you own Brabanters? Are you a Brabanter breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunning birds, I'd like to hear more about them from members that have them.

Question...the last 2 photos "Dottie"...is that the golden-black half moon spangled coloration? Absolutely gorgeous!

I have Brabanters, and I love them. I'm going to come back and write more, but for now want to post a picture of Minnie Pearl. She is a Cream Brabanter.

I'll write more soon.

Aww you used my picture
big_smile.png
I feel honored

I love Brabanters at the moment they are the only chicken I want to own...my daughter has other ideas, but I'm the one who chooses what eggs to hatch
smile.png

Are they any relation to Spitzhauben?

European Brabanters don't have wattles but American ones have huge ones like the Spitz. I can't say for sure but I think the hatcheries used Spitz's in making/maintaining the breed.

We love our girl, my wife calls her the chicken with the "Elvis" hair.
She is the bravest in our flock of 6 chickens, she runs to me when I come with food, meanwhile all the other ones are afraid of my hands.
She is definitely draws attention and everybody that meets her make a comment of how pretty she looks.

· What made you decide to get this breed?
This was our pick of white egg layer.
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
We have her for eggs and fun.
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
I thought her looks would be my favorite characteristic, but her goofiness and mood are awesome!
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

6 weeks - today!

5 weeks

4 weeks

3 weeks

2 weeks

Chickie

We love our girl, my wife calls her the chicken with the "Elvis" hair. She is the bravest in our flock of 6 chickens, she runs to me when I come with food, meanwhile all the other ones are afraid of my hands. She is definitely draws attention and everybody that meets her make a comment of how pretty she looks. [COLOR=262626]· What made you decide to get this breed?[/COLOR] This was our pick of white egg layer.[COLOR=262626] · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?[/COLOR] We have her for eggs and fun.[COLOR=262626] · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?[/COLOR] I thought her looks would be my favorite characteristic, but her goofiness and mood are awesome![COLOR=262626] · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc![/COLOR] 6 weeks - today! 5 weeks [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] 4 weeks 3 weeks 2 weeks Chickie
Ohhhhh! I love your timeline photos!

Back
Top Bottom