Chicken Breed Focus - Colloncas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Feb 18, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Colloncas are one of the original and most ancient breeds of the Mapuche Indian culture of Chile. The Colloncas (Chilean highlands) breed descended from the Rapanui race Pakeke (Seafarer stocks) including the Moa Garahuraju (multiple coloured spots) and Moa Totara (frizzled rumpless bantam). Colloncas De Artes is the composite breed resulting by the crossing of Quetro and Colloncas stock. In North America, the Colloncas De Artes were later refined into heirloom varieties of what we call Araucana. The so-called Ameraucana appears to be in large part a refined Quechua de Artes, without tufts but carrying the brown breasted demes of the Quetro.

They produce generous numbers of colourful eggs and like many South American fowl lay well into the winter. Some hens will produce a pale sea foam hued egg, others robin blue, ash grey and even lilac. A single pair of Colloncas may produce hens that each lay a different colour.

Colloncas are best known for innate tameness. They enjoy being held but unlike Silky fowl, which also enjoy human companionship, the Colloncas is completely winter hardy and can evade predators ably. It is a fairly strong flier and one of the more quiet breeds. Colloncas are very good at tick and fly control and are traditionally kept with sheep and llamas. It is advisable that the poultier keep at least two roosters with a flock of hens, three is the ideal number as Colloncas have strong pair bonds and the roosters work in cooperation to defend and chaperone hens and chicks. As a rule, true Colloncas roosters do not fight with one another and are never aggressive with people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of the above pics by @Yashar

Do you own Colloncas? Are you a Colloncas breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    What an interesting breed (and interesting looking). I'd love to see some chick pictures or a photo of a lilac egg!

3. Chicken999

Chicken999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Very beautiful bird! Are there any members out there that have some?

4. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    I've been looking for some for a while. I read yesterday that they are a tuftless Araucana. It would be nice to hear from the members who have them for clarification on this. It that is true, then it would be easier to locate unrelated stock.

5. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. jhopp6

jhopp6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Algoma, Wisconsin
    I have a tuft less Aracauna hen that looks just like the white hen pictured. Interesting!

7. ringholm

ringholm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2014
    Denmark
    Interesting.
    In my country (Denmark) this breed (if I am correct) is simply called Araucana, the other is called "English Araucana", because apparently "English araucana" originated from Araucanas/Colloncas that sailors brought with them in their ships from South America. But some of the ships crashed into the rocks close to the english coast.
    Some of the araucanas/colloncas survived and mixed wiith native chickens, which then is the foundation of the English Araucana :)

I just looked it up on wikipedia. Apparently the Araucana is originally actually a mix between Colloncas and a breed called Quetro.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. murphyfarm

murphyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2016
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Is there anywhere I can buy collonca chicks or eggs?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  9. jhopp6

Aug 8, 2014
    Algoma, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

My Aracauna hen Pickle

10. jhopp6

Aug 8, 2014
    Algoma, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Pickle is very sweet (with me), but she rules the coop. I have a mixed flock. My smallest hen thinks she's Large and in Charge. lol

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by