Chicken Breed Focus - d'Uccle bantams

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Belgian d'Uccle was first bred in the town of Uccle on the outskirts of Brussels, Belgium, from where it took it's name. The Barbu d'Uccle was created by Michael Van Gelder of Uccle, Belgium, in the early years of the twentieth century and is thought, but not known for certain, that he crossed the existing Sabelpoot and Barbu d'Anvers bantam breeds. The Barbu d'Uccle was first exhibited in 1905.
In 1911, the American artist and poultry enthusiast Arthur O. Schilling saw the mille fleur variety of the breed during a trip to Europe, and imported several to the United States. Schilling, who photographed and illustrated many breeds for the Standard of Perfection of the APA, was visiting C. S. Th. van Gink, another poultry artist of the era, when he took a liking to the breed.

A small breed, the American Standard specifies an ideal weight of 26 oz for cocks, 22 oz for hens and cockerels, and 20 oz for pullets. The Poultry Club of Great Britain suggests as a rough guide a maximum weight of 790–910 g for males and 680–790 g for females, with variations taking into account age and maturity.

In Europe, colour varieties of the Barbu d'Uccle include Blue, Blue Quail, Cuckoo, Mille Fleur, Porcelain, Lavender, Lavender Quail, Black, Mottled, Silver Quail, Quail and White and the American Poultry Association lists seven varieties: Black (1996), Golden Neck (1996), Mille Fleur (1914), Mottled (1996), Porcelain (1965), Self Blue (1996), and White (1981).

Details:

Detail Value
Breed Purpose Ornamental
Comb Single
Broodiness Average
Climate Tolerance All Climates
Egg Productivity Medium
Egg Size Small
Egg Color White
Breed Temperament Friendly,Flighty,Easily handled,Calm,Bears confinement well,Docile
Breed Colors/Varieties Mille Fleur, Black, Porcelain, Golden Neck, Mottled, Self Blue, White
Breed Size Bantam
APA/ABA Class Feather Legged

Pic by @Buck Creek Chickens

Pic by @Schultz

Pic by @wegotchickens

Pic by @wwmicasa1

Do you own d'Uccles? Are you a d'Uccle breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that this is one of my top favorite bantam breeds so far, along with the Phoenix and Faverolles. I've got 5 little 5-week-old d'Uccles, which are made up of 3 Mille Fleur and 2 Porcelain, 3 cockerels and 2 pullets.They were my birthday gift this year from my parents-what could be better?!?! They came from a breeder just for something different in our flock, and a really neat feature is that these are listed as show-quality or bred to the standard. Funny thing is, my most beloved pets so far are the boys! These tiny birds have enough attitude to fill up several LF chooks and still have some left over.
big_smile.png
I really can't wait to see how stunning these friendly little boogers become as they continue to blossom into grown roosters and hens.

Unnamed girl and Piranha and Barracuda, the two Mille Fleur cockerels.

See why I love my little boy, the Piranhadon, so much?
love.gif

Porcelain girl, currently unnamed. Sorry for the poop stains, but I'm sure you all are familiar with how brooders are.
tongue.png

Porcelain boy, also unnamed. What a sweetie!

~Alex

Last edited:
I have to say that this is one of my top favorite bantam breeds so far, along with the Phoenix and Faverolles. I've got 5 little 5-week-old d'Uccles, which are made up of 3 Mille Fleur and 2 Porcelain, 3 cockerels and 2 pullets.They were my birthday gift this year from my parents-what could be better?!?! They came from a breeder just for something different in our flock, and a really neat feature is that these are listed as show-quality or bred to the standard. Funny thing is, my most beloved pets so far are the boys! These tiny birds have enough attitude to fill up several LF chooks and still have some left over.
big_smile.png
I really can't wait to see how stunning these friendly little boogers become as they continue to blossom into grown roosters and hens.

Unnamed girl and Piranha and Barracuda, the two Mille Fleur cockerels.

See why I love my little boy, the Piranhadon, so much?
love.gif

Porcelain girl, currently unnamed. Sorry for the poop stains, but I'm sure you all are familiar with how brooders are.
tongue.png

Porcelain boy, also unnamed. What a sweetie!

~Alex
love.gif

I got my only d'Uccle as an extra. My kids thought that she looked like a penguin. She chirpped all the way home so we decided to name her "Peeper" I was told that she was a silkie and at the time I didn't know any better, so it wasn't till she started to get her feathers that I realized that she wasn't. It took me a while to find out what she was. I haven't seen another mottled d'Uccle except in pictures. She is 3 now and is the last of my first group of chickens. She has never laid that well, but she is goes broody every year at least once. It is funny to see her trying to keep the chicks warm especially when they get bigger then she is.

The day we brought her home.

Last year with her 2 chicks... She gets whiter with every molt.

Back
Top Bottom