Chicken Breed Focus - Hedemora

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Hedemora is a landrace developed over the past 500 years in the area surrounding Hedemora, Sweden, from whence it takes its name. The Hedemora is said to be the most cold hardy chicken in the world, they are known to lay throughout the frigid winters and are willing foragers even in the snow in sub zero weather.

Being a landrace, they have no set standard. They are a medium sized robust bird that weighs around 5 lbs and have smallish single combs and small wattles to help reduce frostbite. They come in a very wide range of beautiful colors and patterns. There are three basic types of Hedemora, the wooly Silkied-feather type that has fine and furry looking feathers that cover the body, and feather-legged and clean-legged versions, both with a heavy down layer under smooth feathers. Breeders believe that all three types and all colors should be kept in a flock to assure genetic diversity.

They are said to be docile and easy to handle. Some of the hens will go broody and are said to be excellent very protective mothers.

Hedemora are a very rare breed with perhaps 2000 birds existing world wide, they were imported into the US around 2010.

Details:

Breed purpose: Eggs.
Comb Type: Small Single
Broodiness: Occasional, very good mothers.
Climate Tolerance: Extremely Cold Hardy.
Weight: 5 lbs roosters, 4 lbs hens.
Egg Productivity: Fair/Good, 150 eggs year.
Egg Size: Medium
Egg Color: Brown

No BYC Breed review available at present)

General breed discussions & FAQ threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/414844/hedemora-thread/0_20
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948250/hedemora-breeders-wanted/0_20

Hedemora Pullet @stoneunhenged

Hedemora pullet @mothernaturesdaughter

Hedemora chick @NanaHess

Hedemora cockerel @stoneunhenged

Hedemora rooster @mothernaturesdaughter

Hedemora Flock @stoneunhenged

Do you own Hedemoras? Are you a Hedemora breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there aren't a lot of breeders out there, but hopefully, some will share their experiences and knowledge. This is a breed I have wanted since the first time I laid eyes on them but felt the weather here wouldn't be suitable for them.

My personal experience over the last 4+ years with the Hedemoras is that they are the most cold hearty chicken in their size group. I have never seen mine foraging in the snow, they prefer to stay in their runs or walk around in the paths I shovel for them. I still provide them with ceramic heaters when it gets down to about 12 degrees. I just finished insulating one of their coops with the hope I will not need to provide them with heat this winter. The silkied ones cannot fly so its good to have low roosts for them.

It is important that they have dense shade in the summer because they can die from the heat. They are very good at finding shade where they like to dig and sit in the cool dirt. Mine hang out in the woods 90% of the time which makes for great cover for them.

They are not cold hearty until they get their adult plumage so they must be kept as warm as any other chick. Sounds strange that I have to mention that but...

They have excellent personalities and make great pets especially for children (for some reason) I have never had a mean rooster with this breed.

It is almost impossible to put younger birds with adult Hedemoras. I keep a separate grow out pen next to their main pen so they can get to know each other and I also let them free range together. Once they reach adult hood they can be integrated like any other breed.

They all carry the silkie gene and so they have all the issues silkies.

I have never seen any champagne colored hedemoras. We only have black, white and Lavender in the U.S and they can have red or silver around the neck or laced through out the bird. I do have a hen that is half solid red and she produced a couple of chicks that had a little more red than her but they turned out to be roosters. I believe once I have an all red bird I may be able to get a champagne color by breeding it to a Lavender. I re-home (as pets) any birds with larger combs, despite being a landrace a small comb should be maintained to help keep them cold hardy. They are a super fun breed to own with all of their variations, sweet personalities and the medium size means they will not break the feed budget.

The Hedemora is a landrace developed over the past 500 years in the area surrounding Hedemora, Sweden, from whence it takes its name. The Hedemora is said to be the most cold hardy chicken in the world, they are known to lay throughout the frigid winters and are willing foragers even in the snow in sub zero weather.

Being a landrace, they have no set standard. They are a medium sized robust bird that weighs around 5 lbs and have smallish single combs and small wattles to help reduce frostbite. They come in a very wide range of beautiful colors and patterns. There are three basic types of Hedemora, the wooly Silkied-feather type that has fine and furry looking feathers that cover the body, and feather-legged and clean-legged versions, both with a heavy down layer under smooth feathers. Breeders believe that all three types and all colors should be kept in a flock to assure genetic diversity.

They are said to be docile and easy to handle. Some of the hens will go broody and are said to be excellent very protective mothers.

Hedemora are a very rare breed with perhaps 2000 birds existing world wide, they were imported into the US around 2010.

Details:

Breed purpose: Eggs.
Comb Type: Small Single
Broodiness: Occasional, very good mothers.
Climate Tolerance: Extremely Cold Hardy.
Weight: 5 lbs roosters, 4 lbs hens.
Egg Productivity: Fair/Good, 150 eggs year.
Egg Size: Medium
Egg Color: Brown

No BYC Breed review available at present)

General breed discussions & FAQ threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/414844/hedemora-thread/0_20
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/948250/hedemora-breeders-wanted/0_20

Hedemora Pullet @stoneunhendged

Hedemora pullet @mothernaturesdaughter

Hedemora chick @NanaHess

Hedemora cockerel @stoneunhendged

Hedemora Flock @stoneunhendged

Do you own Hedemoras? Are you a Hedemora breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
They are called "Hedemora höns" only :) vägen is in Swedish road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've raised this breed starting last June when I managed to catch some of Greenfire's last chicks. Since then I've gotten in touch with a variety of wonderful people who, though small in number, possess a lion's share of dedication to preserving what stock we have in the United States. We've been building up a group on Facebook, and I am really hoping this breed perseveres!

I am so proud of the flock, about 24 strong, we raise and breed. They really are terrific with the cold New England winters we endure.

wow i actually have this breed 1 beautiful rooster and 5 hens. they were rogue and people were wanting them gon or dead in their neighborhood. it was hard to catch them i didnt get them all but i rescued 5 and brought them to my farm. oneof them had chicks when i cought her but all the chicks escaped me that was the day i learned them chicks can fly like sparrows at a week old!!! i kept them in a coop for a few weeks as i was woried about preditors they and my natural flock have been running free since mid july pretty much foraging for themselves. the "baby mama" just hatched 6 more chicks but to keep them from becoming wild i put them with one of my own brooding hens who had four a week earlier. they are all getting along the chicks are not as wild now as they were when i caught them. but i can tell you i have never been hit so hard by a hen as baby mama hit me.

Back
Top Bottom