1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Breed Focus - La Flèche

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, May 12, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    La Flèche breed originated in France around the town of La Flèche in the Loire region. Considered an old breed, with many authors dating the origins of the La Flèche breed to the fifteenth century. They were originally created to provide a tender white fleshed “Petit Poussin” chicken for the markets of Paris during the nineteenth century. At one point they were produced commercially but by the beginning of the 20th Century, they had almost died out and were only kept by a few backyard keepers and in small numbers. They grew too slowly for the bigger commercial farms to bother with them. A typical farm of the region would have kept their birds in a free range environment and the La Flèche would have taken 10 months to be reach a good table weight.

La Flèche are thought to be close relations of the Houdan and Crèvecœur breeds. A popular breed in France and Germany through the 20th Century, only a handful existed in the UK, where they never really became popular. By the Second World War they were thought to have died out. Since then, La Flèche has been re-introduced from France and Germany and is getting more attention as breeders (and chefs) look for better taste from table birds in their quests for "real food".
    La Flèche chickens entered the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1874.

Details:

Breed Purpose Dual Purpose
    Comb V-Shaped
    Broodiness Seldom
    Climate Tolerance Heat
    Egg Productivity Medium
    Egg Size Large
    Egg Color White
    Breed Temperament Wild / restless, Flighty, Bears confinement well, Shy
    Breed Colors/Varieties Black, Blue, White, Cuckoo.
    Breed Size Large Fowl
    APA/ABA Class Continental

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Long Horn Poultry Farm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pic by @chrisf

[​IMG]
    Pic by @92caddy

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/la-fleche

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/309465/la-fleche-thread-pic-of-my-black-la-fleche/0_30
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/63007/can-i-see-your-la-fleche-pics/0_30

Do you own La Flèche? Are you a La Flèche breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. madriver

madriver Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    Arcata, CA
    thanks for posting this. I love this breed. I only have one hen and a few young chicks (from ideal) but hope to create a good breeding pair in time.

such an interesting personality, I don't find them 'wild' at all, just different. My older hen is the most social chicken I have with people but avoids the other chickens. I use her to care for young chicks now in the grow out coops.
    mine reminds me of my hamburgs in a a lot of ways. hard to explain how.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Central New Hampshire
    I have always found them interesting, love the v, someday I hope to get a handful

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The V comb is so interesting. Pretty birds!
    Hmm....another breed for the wish list...[​IMG]

5. Bine

Bine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh look the meadow devil on BC. Wiesenteufel or meadow devil is the nickname of the La Flèche in German. Here is a lovely blog of a fancier, not updated, but maybe some traffic would encorage him to post more pics. http://lafleche-wiesenteufel.blogspot.de/

6. LaFleche

LaFleche New Egg

Sep 22, 2012
    Germany
    Hello everyone,

regarding the egg color of the La Flèche breed: it is white with sometimes a subtle rosy hue.

7. GeorgeL

GeorgeL New Egg

I am looking for a source of these birds for spring. Can anyone help.?

8. LaFleche

LaFleche New Egg

Sep 22, 2012
    Germany
    If you don't mind travelling to Germany...

9. GeorgeL

GeorgeL New Egg

Does sound like fun. but bringing home eggs or chicks is not going to work. I have lived for months at a time in Italy visited Croatia , Greece.. France, Portugal, Spain. I have never been to Germany. How is the chicken??
    George

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by