Chicken Breed Focus - Marans

Pics
I agree LP are the best as far as I am concerned but there are several breeders with pure LP. Feels Right Farm and Heaven Sent to name a couple.

I don't understand the problem Is it hat you want to make a unique strain of Marans?
Best,
Karen

Hello Donrae!! Love your post!! Your chickens are beautiful!! I have a maran as well she has been called a boy everytime i take a picture but she looks like your girls! And i believe is working on am egg...I'm nervous it got stuck but we'll see tonight.....i also have a cream legbar rooster that is very handsom. So far he has been very quiet but if he start crowing i will have to rehome him....are you looking to sell/trade/buy adult chickens? Or do you do hatchery only?

sorry, I totally missed this thread in my responses.

I have enough cockerels for breeding stock at the moment. I have two pretty blue copper boys who are not quite breeding age yet, but they're getting there. I only have I think 3 pullets from last year, I'll be using my mature hens for breeding stock again this spring. None of my birds are hatchery sourced, and I'm hoping to avoid that.

I'm glad I got the clean leg cuckoo then, my girl has been a pretty reliable egg a day so far!
I've got two myself and I've been getting an egg a day from one for a little over a week. She lays a speckled caramel color and my other just started laying today! Terracota colored just like yours and speckled as well. Might not be super dark but they are pretty.

Last edited:
Quote: Someone was looking for good Marans, someone else recommended LP and I was just passing on info that you could get LP from a couple of other breeders. I will be working on my own line with GFF and LP lines but I sourced my birds from Feels Right Farm.

Love my Cuckoo Marans hens. They are quite large, heat and cold tolerant, docile and layed back. Mine go broody and have all been excellent mothers. As the article states, I have never had a problem with them picking on smaller or subordinate flock mates. Mine good layers of large dark terra cotta colored eggs.

One of my favorite breeds by far.

Thanks for the article on the Marans!
can you post a picture of you Cuckoo Maran hens?

IMG_20180521_144050.jpg IMG_20180521_144035.jpg I have rir, barred rocks, bo, and cuckoo marans, I ordered a male chick, I lost a dark chick in shipping, pretty sure it was one of my marans, I ordered a male marans so not sure if I have my rooster, I have one marans chick that I think is my roo but not sure. This chick is four weeks, comb is bigger than the other marans, tail feathers are just coming in and they are shaped different, had two large white dots as a chick. Can anyone tell if I have a roo or another hen?

Back
Top Bottom