Chicken Breed Focus - Minorca

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Sep 15, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The largest of the Mediterranean breeds, Minorca, aka Moorish Fowl are most excellent layers of large white eggs. They are extremely heat tolerant, very good foragers and free rangers, all together a very tough and hardy breed. They are quite active and very good flyers, though they generally do well in confinement and are still used in commercial egg production in some parts of the world. The large carcass size makes for a decent table bird, though the meat is reported to be dry and usually “larded” aka stuffed with lard, before cooking.

Named for the Island of Minorca, off the Spanish coast in the Mediterranean, in the past birds of this type were commonly found in the Castile regions north of Madrid. The exact origins of the breed are shrouded in history, but one tradition has them coming to Spain from Africa with the Moors, another tradition has them coming from Italy with the Romans. They were found in England as early as the 1780’s and the British developed them as an international breed and show bird, they were imported into the US in 1884.

Originally with large white ear lobes and a very large single comb, the rose comb variety was developed around 1900 in the US. They usually are found in four main colors, Black, Blue, White and Buff, though breeders are working on other project colors. They are quite popular as exhibition birds today.

Admitted into the APA starting in 1888.
    On the Livestock Conservancy’s Watch list.

Details:

Breed purpose: Dual purpose
    Comb Type: Single, Rose
    Broodiness: Non-Setters
    Climate Tolerance: Heat Tolerant, very hardy.
    Weight: 9 lbs roosters, 7.5 lbs hens.
    Egg Productivity: Very Good
    Egg Size: Large
    Egg Color: White

[​IMG]
    Blue project - Pic by @SanderB

[​IMG]
    Buff cockerel - Pic by @cochinman2005

[​IMG]
    Black pullet - Pic by @SanderB

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Gracie9205

[​IMG]
    Pic by @omegorchards

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/minorca

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/378195/minorca-thread/0_20

Do you own Minorcas? Are you a Minorca breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

2 people like this.
  2. Nardo

Nardo Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    I want some [​IMG]

3. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Beautiful birds. I've liked them since I first read about them. I'm always looking for heat-tolerant birds and they fit the bill nicely. Too many chickens, not enough space.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Beautiful! I want some too[​IMG]

5. AmandaMBG

AmandaMBG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    Are there bantams of these? My bantam pullet looks a heck of a lot like that black pullet. Could just be coincidence thoz

6. ChickieG'ma

ChickieG'ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    Port Townsend, WA
    We have one of these. She was the "gift" chick in our first batch of chicks. Seven years old now she's like the elegant little old lady in the flock. She used to lay xtra large white eggs, at least 5 a week. One of the sweetest chickens we've ever had. I wouldn't mind having a whole flock. :thumbsup

7. sunnyqorgi

sunnyqorgi Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Such a pretty breed [​IMG] Didn't get any this year but could be for next spring, need to start looking for a breeder. Love the buff cockerel shown!!!

8. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I've got one that I got at the feed store (so hatchery stock) and she's the smallest bird in my flock, weighing less than my Leghorn hen. However, she does lay that nice big white egg nearly every day. Rather flighty, though.

9. lbenedict15

lbenedict15 Just Hatched

Jul 17, 2016
    Moriah, New York
    This is my boy, Chirp. I am actually raising him for a friend who wants the feathers. Chirp is hatchery stock, and there are a few things I've noticed that aren't true to the breed. [​IMG]He is a great bird, protects the ladies, and is just as handsom as can be. The only thing I worry about with him is the winter. Lots of vaseline is already in stock for that large comb!

10. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I have six Minorca hens. I have a white leghorn hen and when one of the Minorca's is next to her, they look like negative images of each other! I've enjoyed my hens and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Egg production is great, and they seem to get along well with all the members of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by