Chicken Breed Focus - Showgirl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Jan 14, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If you like a unique looking chicken, Showgirls may be the breed for you. Showgirls are a recent creation, becoming increasingly popular in the last ten years or so. They are generally the result of crossing Transylvanian Naked Necks / Turkens to Silkies. The Turken is used in the first generation to incorporate the incompletely dominant Naked Neck gene into the breeding program, then for multiple generations continue by crossing the Naked Necked chicks back to Silkies to improve type. The goal is usually a bird that is essentially a Silkie but with a naked neck (and perhaps with bowties and/or beards).

Like Silkies, the Showgirl hens are very broody and exceptional mothers, and they are often used to hatch the eggs of other breeds. Showgirl females are usually very calm, sweet and gentle birds, they usually make excellent pets, especially for children. Because of their gentle nature Showgirls may not do well in mixed flocks with breeds that have a more aggressive temperament. Their silkied feathers make them vulnerable to extreme cold, especially in wet weather, the feathered feet also require some care. They generally are not very predator aware, do not do well free ranging, and should be kept in a fenced in area. Like Silkies they are usually five toed, dark skinned, and have a walnut comb. They come in many colours, white probably being the most popular.

Details:

Breed purpose: Ornamental, Broody
    Comb Type: Walnut
    Broodiness: Frequent, very good mothers.
    Climate Tolerance: Silkied feathers make them vulnerable in cold and wet weather.
    Weight: Varies, usually bantam to small standard size, 5lbs.
    Egg Productivity: Poor
    Egg Size: Small
    Egg Colour: Tinted / light brown

Gave you a selection of pics to pick from, interesting as they are [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pic by @debs_flock

[​IMG]
    Pic by @jenifern

[​IMG]
    Pic by @spowell

[​IMG]
    Pic by @TNBarnQueen

[​IMG]
    Pic by @taprock

[​IMG]
    Pic by @magikchick

[​IMG]
    Pic by @jlynn

[​IMG]
    Pic by @CliffB

BYC Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/showgirl

General breed discussions & FAQ thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/416003/showgirl-thread-for-posting-pictures-and-discussing-breed/0_20

Do you own Showgirls? Are you a Showgirl breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

1 person likes this.
  2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    I beg to differ, we grew up with them.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  3. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    I love these goofy looking birds! I am hoping to produce some eventually. Just ordered my Turkens, so it will be a while. Thanks for the write up![​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

5. jas humbert

jas humbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

I have a couple including these little girls. They are supposed to conform to the silkie standard (black skin, 5 toes) except for the naked neck. And some have more or less fluff on the neck. They are 6 months old now - I will have to get recent photos- and laying well. They don't seem to mind the cold at all and the other morning when it was 19 degrees, they were out running around my feet and begging for treats.and didn't seem cold at all. They sleep with the rest of the silkies and seem to have essentially silkie personalities perhaps just A little bolder than some but that may be individual. They like people and are cuddly and docile. .I think my dark one, Iomgene, lookslike a baby ostrich.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bluechick2u, Hholly and sumi like this.
  6. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    I would love a showgirl
    They look very different...

7. ch1ckenlover

ch1ckenlover Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2015
    VA
    What do the roosters look like?

8. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    [​IMG]That looks like an angora rabbit crossed with a naked neck chicken.

9. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    I won't give it all away but you can have 3/4 if you like. I'd like to be young again/

10. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Yeah, me too!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by