Chicken Breed Focus - Vorwerk

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Jun 30, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Vorwerks are a dual-purpose chicken suitable for both meat and egg production. Created beginning 1900, when poultry breeder Oskar Vorwerk began to create a medium-sized, utilitarian chicken breed with the belted plumage pattern of the Lakenvelder breed. The key difference in appearance would be the Vorwerk's dark golden base colour, as apposed to the white of the Lakenvelder. Thus, his chicken is sometimes incorrectly called the "Golden Lakenvelder", especially in the USA. The Golden Lakenvelder, a plumage variety, is a separate breed from the Vorwerk. Breeds used to create the Vorwerk included the Lakenvelder, Buff Orpington, Buff Sussex and Andalusian. By 1913, the Vorwerk was standardised, however, it never really gained widespread use, and is rare or non-existent outside Continental Europe.

In 1966, a U.S. man named Wilmar Vorwerk of Minnesota, developed an interest in the breed, but found it had not been exported to USA. He decided to create a bantam version from scratch, using Lakenvelders, Buff and Blue Wyandottes, Black-tailed Buff and Buff Columbian Rosecombs. European fanciers have also independently miniaturized a bantam Vorwerk. Though the large fowl Vorwerk has never been accepted in the APA's Standard of Perfection, the American Bantam Association has recognized the U.S. version of the Vorwerk Bantam.

Details:

Detail Value
    Breed Purpose Dual Purpose
    Comb Single
    Broodiness Seldom
    Climate Tolerance All Climates
    Egg Productivity Medium
    Egg Size Medium
    Egg Color Light Brown
    Breed Temperament Flighty,Easily handled,Bears confinement well
    Breed Colors/Varieties Black buff black sometimes called Golden Lakenvelder in the US. Blue buff blue were created in Holland but now probably extinct. White buff white were created in Holland but will soon be extinct.
    Breed Size Bantam

[​IMG]
    Pic by @DallasCriftins

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Henk69

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Henk69

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Henk69

[​IMG]
    Pic by @Henk69

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/vorwerk

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/786298/the-vorwerk-thread/0_30
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/281316/my-vorwerk-s-from-germany/0_30

Do you own Vorwerks? Are you a Vorwerk breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

2. TamingMaster

TamingMaster Overrun With Chickens

Jul 26, 2014
    A wonderful breed to focus on - Vorwerks are definitely one of my favourites! :thumbsup

I was given a Vorwerk hen as a surprise gift from a close family member. Although I would love to breed her, I've kept her purely as a pet - and named her Lady Egglantine.
    My favourite characteristics would definitely be her feather colours and her courage when it comes to predators. She's kept my little flock safe more times than I can count!

Here's a few pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Egg Grower Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    She is very pretty.

4. TamingMaster

TamingMaster Overrun With Chickens

Jul 26, 2014
    Thanks. :)

5. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    Where can you buy vorwerks??? They are so pretty

6. TheFoxyChicken

TheFoxyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    I have been looking for these birds as well. I have even attempted to contact farms in the UK.

7. ufi chicknz

ufi chicknz New Egg

Jul 2, 2016
    zimbabwe
    hie guys i do hv a big question i wanna ask where does this broiler breed comes from ? is it true that it comes from gallus gallus red jungle fowl? anyone wth any idea tell me

8. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Yes, chickens do come from red jungle fowl. Here's a scientific blog for reference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by