Chicken Breed Focus - Wyandotte

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The Wyandotte aka American Sebright, were developed in the United states in the 1870’s, in and around the New York area. The first color developed was the Silver Laced variety, and they were originally called American Sebrights, the name was changed to Wyandotte (after the indigenous Wyandot people) when they were admitted into the APA in 1883. They were exported to Europe around the same time.

Wyandottes are a calm breed in general, and have very nice temperaments, they are good with people and generally get along well in a mixed flock. They are decent foragers, though they do not tend to wander far and are not good flyers. They are extremely cold hardy. The hens are good layers of light brown eggs, good winter layers, and will set, and are good mothers. The cockerels make a good table bird. Today they are an extremely popular dual purpose breed, and very popular among small flock owners looking for a colorful winter layer.

They have a flat rose comb, and bright red face Today they come in many feather colors and patterns, with over thirty found in Europe, the beautiful Blue Laced Red and Silver Laced are probably the two most popular colors in general. They are very popular as exhibition birds. Many breeds have been used to produce the Wyandotte we know today, including Brahma, Cochin, Hamburg, and Plymouth Rocks. They are also found in bantam size.

It was removed from The Livestock Conservancy's Priority list in 2016 and is no longer considered endangered.

Details:

Breed purpose: Dual
    Comb Type: Rose
    Broodiness: Occasional, good mothers
    Climate Tolerance: very cold hardy
    Weight: 6.5 hen, 8.5 rooster
    Egg Productivity: good
    Egg Size: large
    Egg Color: brown

[​IMG]
    Blue Rooster - Pic by @ggarratt

[​IMG]
    Buff chicks - Pic by @Bleenie

[​IMG]
    Gold Laced - Pic by @dajen

[​IMG]
    Silver Laced - Pic by @Kelly G

[​IMG]
    Splash Laced Red - Pic by @cluckadoodledoo

[​IMG]
    Pic by @cluckadoodledoo

BYC Breed reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/wyandotte

BYC General breed discussions & FAQ threads:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/279470/the-wyandotte-thread/0_20
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/466415/blue-laced-red-wyandotte-thread/0_20
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/605156/the-silver-laced-wyandotte-thread/0_20

Do you own Wyandottes? Are you a Wyandotte breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
    · Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
    · What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
    · Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I LOVE Wyandottes! I dont have any but i would love too!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Such gorgeous birds! I have been meaning to get Wynadottes for my flock for years!

4. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    Anyone have any good photos of the Blue Laced Red variety?

5. kie4

kie4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Malvern, PA
    My Coop
    Does anybody have any anecdotes related to the point above saying they don't range very far?
    Our chickens seldom go over to our neighbour's garden, and my neighbour says it doesn't bother him or his wife because they don't go outside much. However our chickens are young, and will range further and further. If I could have a one-to-one with the Super Blue Egg Layer leader, I would ask he to stop leading the others under the fence for off property forages.

Of course I could always put netting on the fence, but we're in this for the long haul, perhaps we would stick to Wyandottes if they are the type of bird that don't ever venture further than an acre or so.

6. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    we have 1 18wk golden laced wyandotte She was our surprise from Hatchery She's absolutely gorgeous. She also was the only one who nearly died at 1 week old. I want more of her for sure. I will attempt to post some pics of her this week.

7. happywisguy

happywisguy New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    I have a Silver Laced, White, Columbian and Gold Laced Wyandottes! I want one of each variety! Love their heart shaped bodies!

8. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Gold Laced and Silver Laced (originally, there were 2 SLW but a fox got one). The GLW is the only hen we've had go broody...she hatched 3 chicks and was a very attentive and protective mother. Both hens are nice birds: consistent layers, lovely coloring, fairly friendly. Would definitely get them again.

9. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    My gals are looking a little shabby becayse they are molting but these are my blue laced reds
    Sparrow on the nest
    [​IMG]
    Laura wondering why i didnt bring treats
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. kie4

kie4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Malvern, PA
    My Coop
    Hi @heatherlaw , can I ask what the breed is behind the blue laced red wyandotte?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by