Chicken Breed For Mom

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Firearia, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, we're building a whole lot more coops here and my mom wants a few chickens for her garden. I would make her a chicken tractor as well as a coop so she could monitor their 'weeding'. She's not sure what chickens to get and she doesn't really care about looks, as long as it's not a turken she says. [​IMG] Poor turkens, no one in our family really likes them... But I kinda want a few. [​IMG] Anyways she wants a chicken that's friendly and easy for her to pick up and move around etc. I suggested cochins as they are easy to catch and very friendly, so far she likes blue cochins and black austrolorps. But suggestions for anything would be nice! I can't think of many 'garden' chickens.

Edit: We think we'd want another rooster as well, what would be a nice breed with 'calm' roosters. I know all roosters can be calm if raised right, but maybe ones that are said to have a more gentle demeanor.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Out of those Australorps for sure!!

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Delawares are super friendly - even as chicks they will run up to you. I have several that are lap sitters.

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I'd have to say australorps or orpingtons! [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A Tolbunt Polish. [​IMG] [​IMG] They're awesome looking, great lawn ornaments, and very friendly if raised right. . . . But good luck finding some.

[​IMG]

But, honestly, I think a Cochin would fit pretty well. They come in quite a variety of colors, are very easy to handle, and are quite docile.

6. Firearia

Quote:I thought about those as well... Same with Polish! Orpingtons would be nice as well, but I already have a bunch and want to keep them as my breeders! [​IMG] I'll show her some pictures and see what she says. [​IMG]

7. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    what about barred rocks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  8. Firearia

Quote:I wondered about those as well, but I thought they'd get really dirty in all that soil. Though I'm sure they don't mind. I don't know much about silkies actually, all I know is they're good with kids and friendly. How often do they lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by