Chicken breed ID help please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aquella, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Aquella

Aquella Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    ***I tried to post this with pictures, but it won't let me.
    Says "We have been having a big problem with spam and have had to temporarilly limit what brand new members can post. To continue, please reduce the number of URLs or images in your post to 0."
    So I'm going to go ahead and submit this, and see if I can follow-up with pics.***

Hello all!
    Last year, I purchased some left over Easter chicks at my local feed store. I was told that the 2 white ones in the batch were Leghorns. OK. Well, as they grew, it became clear that they were not the same breed.
    1 looks to be a White Leghorn. She has white earlobes, and lays white eggs.
    The other I'm having trouble with. She has red earlobes, and lays medium brown eggs. She's also rumpless.

I’m thinking she may be a White Rock. Maybe she’s a Mutt.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Ella

2. Aquella

Aquella Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Here are the pictures:
    The one I think is in fact a White Leghorn – [​IMG]
    Mystery chicken - [​IMG]

Yeah!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG] from Tani in AZ!!!!!!!!
    If she is rumples, she is probably an araucana/araucana mix.
    You will learn SO much on here, that within a year you will be able to tell breeds and breed crosses on sight! Have fun, learn lots! [​IMG]
    God Bless
    Tani

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Rhode Island Whites lay brown eggs, but they're not rumpless... Araucanas are rumpless but REALLY rare. White Rocks are fluffy and sometimes look like they have round butts, but they DO have tails.

The picture puzzles me. Araucana rump, but no muffs. Perhaps a White Rock and Araucana mix. Or a RIW and Araucana mix.

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Is she lacking a tail or just the feathers? She looks like a White Rock.

6. Aquella

Aquella Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Gosh you folks are fast!

She does have a knob, but so far as I with my incredibly limited knowledge can tell, she has no actual tail feathers.

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Definite White Rock then. If she lays, what does it matter? [​IMG]
    She just had her tail feathers pulled out. I have a few like that right now too.

8. Aquella

Aquella Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    She's never had tail feathers. At first I thought that she had lost them to an overzealous mate, but she's since molted, and there's no sign of development in that area...

Of course, laying eggs is top priority, I'm just curious to get an idea of what the heck she is.

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    it does look like a white rock, although it's very strange for a hatchery chick to be rumpless like that! maybe it's a rock/araucana mix that ended up w/ a rumpless tail?

10. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:She isn't truly rumpless, just missing all her tail feathers. Only two breeds I know of are actually truly rumpless and they are the Manx Rumpies and the Araucana. They are very rare, so I think something just messed up her tail feathers. Did she by any chance get frostbite on her tail at any time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: