Chicken Breed Individual Development

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
I've ready many posts asking about if different breeds mature/lay eggs earlier than others. I'm just wondering, wouldn't it be true like all other living things that each individual grows and matures at a very personal rate, as opposed to it being breed specific?

I'd love some feedback. I've 10 different breeds so it's interesting to me to watch them mature.

Yes and yes
big_smile.png
Some breeds do start laying sooner than others..Then there is the difference in maturity among them as well.You can have 10 all hatched the same day of the same breed and some will mature faster and lay sooner then there are the bunch in the middle and the late bloomers.Some are naturally going to be bigger and some will be smaller thank goodness not all are the same..how boring that would be.

Thanks that's what I assumed. It's quite fun to try to figure out who is going lay next. We only have one laying now, 26 weeks but we have a 25, 23, 21, 20 and 18 week olds. all different varieties so it's an interesting study in maturity based on age and just human (ooops I mean chicken) nature
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom