Chicken breed?! Poll here.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Baby Chick, Mar 14, 2012.

Breeds

Poll closed Apr 2, 2012.
  1. Buff Orpingtons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New Hampshire Reds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rhode Island Reds

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Araconnas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. White Leghorns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Wyndottes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. 4 breeds with 3 of each

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. 3 breeds with 4 of each

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Baby Chick

Baby Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Every April My family gets chicks, and this year we are getting 12. So I think we should get 3 New Hampshire Reds, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Araconnas, and either 3 White Leghorns or 3 Buff Orpingtons because those breeds look really nice & are pretty good egg layers. But my Mom doesn't agree, she thinks we should get 4 Orpingtons, 4 Araconnas, and 4 Wyndottes. So what breeds do you guys think we should get & how many of each?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I have to agree with your mother. Those three birds are most winter hardy, and considering where you live, that will play in your favor. I live in Southern PA, and don't heat our coop in the winter. Therefore, I don't purchase single combed breeds, because they get frostbite.

If you are ordering from a hatchery (more selection then a feed store) then other breeds you may want to consider include the Dominique, Chantecler, Russian Orloff, and Buckeye. If you want a light weight white egg layer then try a rose comb brown leghorn, or perhaps a hamburg.

Also, if Ameraucanas are not coming from a private breed, they will be Easter Eggers.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    YOU GOT TO LOVE A WYANDOTTE!!! THEY ARE MY FAVORITES.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My vote is for a bunch of Easter Eggers.

Your supplying hatchery, feedstore, or local breeder calls them "Araconnas/Araucanas" but they're actually mutts called Easter Eggers. Real Araucanas only lay blue eggs, have no tails, no beard, and are quite rare. Plus, no hatchery or feedstore has them no matter what they claim.

But anyway, best go with the Easter Eggers as their egg color ranges from blue to green to light brown/pink, their plumage color is quite crazy and varied too, and they can be a fun "box of chocolates."

6. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    How about some cute and cuddly Turkens?;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by