• 3 breeds with 4 of each

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baby Chick

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Every April My family gets chicks, and this year we are getting 12. So I think we should get 3 New Hampshire Reds, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Araconnas, and either 3 White Leghorns or 3 Buff Orpingtons because those breeds look really nice & are pretty good egg layers. But my Mom doesn't agree, she thinks we should get 4 Orpingtons, 4 Araconnas, and 4 Wyndottes. So what breeds do you guys think we should get & how many of each?

I have to agree with your mother. Those three birds are most winter hardy, and considering where you live, that will play in your favor. I live in Southern PA, and don't heat our coop in the winter. Therefore, I don't purchase single combed breeds, because they get frostbite.

If you are ordering from a hatchery (more selection then a feed store) then other breeds you may want to consider include the Dominique, Chantecler, Russian Orloff, and Buckeye. If you want a light weight white egg layer then try a rose comb brown leghorn, or perhaps a hamburg.

Also, if Ameraucanas are not coming from a private breed, they will be Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
My vote is for a bunch of Easter Eggers.

Your supplying hatchery, feedstore, or local breeder calls them "Araconnas/Araucanas" but they're actually mutts called Easter Eggers. Real Araucanas only lay blue eggs, have no tails, no beard, and are quite rare. Plus, no hatchery or feedstore has them no matter what they claim.

But anyway, best go with the Easter Eggers as their egg color ranges from blue to green to light brown/pink, their plumage color is quite crazy and varied too, and they can be a fun "box of chocolates."

Back
Top Bottom