Chicken breed questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Missymac, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    First I went out to my coop yesterday and noticed that one of my Buff Brahmas was missing(I had 3). Doing a head count, I realized I had exactly the amount of chickens I was suppose to have. Looking through them I found this chicken:
    [​IMG]

I wont complain though, this morning I found the largest brown egg I had ever seen with her in with it. (very freshly layed) The Brahma was not even laying yet. Is it a RIR? She doesn't look very old, I would guess around a year, very healthy and well taken care of. However, locks are going on the coop and run today. Just to be safe, in case someone gets the urge to grab one of my more desireable hens.

Second chicken, a roo obviously. I got him straight run out of EE bin, however her has waddles? I have read and read again that EEs do not have waddles and none of my others do.

[​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The hen is a Rhode Island Red, great layers! [​IMG]

The rooster is an EE. EEs are mutts, so they can vary a lot in appearance. MOST don't have wattles. But every once in a great while one will have wattles. But he's definitely an EE, he's got a pea comb and is multi-colored with slate legs. [​IMG]

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:X2

4. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    That is what I thought with my Roo and for the RIR.

On a side not, I still can't believe someone came into my yard, went into my coop and swapped chickens. lol.

5. SilverFire5467

SilverFire5467 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    RIR may lay nice eggs but from my experience they arnt very social or friendly when gathering eggs from them. There also very generic so someone decided to grab a prettier bird although im surprised they dumped a replacement [​IMG]

6. Missymac

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I am on the look out, not very many people have chickens around here and everyone has a big mouth. If they were looking for a pretty bird, you would think they would have "swapped" for my Spitz, polish, silkies, or Light chocolate EE... Not for a Buff brahma that was twice the size of the other two and looked more like a Roo with each passing day...Unless that is what they were looking for... She made a LOT of noise while I collected eggs but that was it.

7. SilverFire5467

SilverFire5467 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    Well then perhaps they wanted a roo for whatever reason. Thats good that she doesnt bite [​IMG]

8. BovieVei

BovieVei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Walnut Creek, CA
    EEs can have wattles, because to be an EE, it just has to be crossed with an Ameraucana. It can retain other traits from the other bird, but it could still be an EE. Hope this helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by