Chicken breed what do i want

The list of suggestions could be quite lengthy,,, depending how many peeps respond,,, Many peeps will post their favorite chickens,, and they are all correct.
If you want pets,, like I myself keep,, and you are in Iowa,,, cold country. Look into keeping an assortment of Easter Eggers. They will provide you with colored eggs, and even if they are from same bin at sale place,,, they may produce different shades of egg color. (I had 3 from same bin, and each layed different color egg)
Are cold hardy,, and will live generally long life. Did I mention they are pretty:love..
Avoid Sexlink chickens like Production reds,, Cinnamon Queens, and others like Isa Brown, Also avoid White leghorns. Those are great chickens if you are just in search for many eggs. They have short lifespans. White leghorns, are great, but not very friendly, and flighty.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

The list of suggestions could be quite lengthy,,, depending how many peeps respond,,, Many peeps will post their favorite chickens,, and they are all correct.
If you want pets,, like I myself keep,, and you are in Iowa,,, cold country. Look into keeping an assortment of Easter Eggers. They will provide you with colored eggs, and even if they are from same bin at sale place,,, they may produce different shades of egg color. (I had 3 from same bin, and each layed different color egg)
Are cold hardy,, and will live generally long life. Did I mention they are pretty:love..
Avoid Sexlink chickens like Production reds,, Cinnamon Queens, and others like Isa Brown, Also avoid White leghorns. Those are great chickens if you are just in search for many eggs. They have short lifespans. White leghorns, are great, but not very friendly, and flighty.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Hayes I had a white leghorn once very timid. She would only hop on me at her turns. I have 6 chickens now.the friendliest was a black austrolorp I had. And people say buffs but I have not found that true. The ones around the pool are my currents. I have about 4 freindly and 2 skittish ones. But the problem is they are mixed breeds here is what I am thinking but I want others options.also if you dont agree please give me a reason.
Cochin
Buff orgington
Favorelle
Plymouth rock
Austrolorp

Attachments

• 39977(1).png
    39977(1).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Resized_20210718_092658.jpeg
    Resized_20210718_092658.jpeg
    654.3 KB · Views: 3
I am looking to see what people davoorite/freindly breeds of chicken. I need 6 chickens that wont mind sharing and playing around. What chicken breeds would be great for this? I live in Iowa so it is also cold and hot.
Thanks in advanced
Welsummers, Easter eggers, and brahmas all get along well! Or at least mine do.
Buff Orpingtons are great too! They are good layers and can handle cold and heat. Most of the breeds I mention above are good for in heat and cold. And not very flighty.

The best chicken I’ve ever had is Freya, a red sex link mix. And if you want a nice calm roo welsummers are the way to go, or Easter eggers and EE mixes are great as well. (My best Roos we’re the breeds mentioned above.)

I live in Washington where we have hot summers and cold winters. :lol:

I do NOT recommend Anconas, or California whites, they are flighty and pure escape artists. (Just in my opinion :))

Hope this helps! 😁👍🏻

Hayes I had a white leghorn once very timid. She would only hop on me at her turns. I have 6 chickens now.the friendliest was a black austrolorp I had. And people say buffs but I have not found that true. The ones around the pool are my currents. I have about 4 freindly and 2 skittish ones. But the problem is they are mixed breeds here is what I am thinking but I want others options.also if you dont agree please give me a reason.
Cochin
Buff orgington
Favorelle
Plymouth rock
Austrolorp
Hi again, it’s a lovely little flock!

I don’t recommend Bantam Cochins, all they do is brood and they don’t lay very much, plus they lay tiny little eggs.

Orphington’s and Australorps we’ve raised together and they all got along just fine. Pretty much any breed will get along just fine if they’re raised together from day one.

Hi again, it’s a lovely little flock!

I don’t recommend Bantam Cochins, all they do is brood and they don’t lay very much, plus they lay tiny little eggs.

Orphington’s and Australorps we’ve raised together and they all got along just fine. Pretty much any breed will get along just fine if they’re raised together from day one.
Ok thanks so much. We have 6 now and will get 6 come spring. So 6 and 6 will hang out together. So far the chickens are well when something random comes in like other chickens so I dont think it would be a problem. Worst case scenario they would have 2 coops and would free range together

Ok thanks so much. We have 6 now and will get 6 come spring. So 6 and 6 will hang out together. So far the chickens are well when something random comes in like other chickens so I dont think it would be a problem. Worst case scenario they would have 2 coops and would free range together
Your welcome! 😀 I truly envy you, my sister and I co-care for a flock of 50+ :th .

Yes, the younger ones will probably be put in their place by the older ones but the younger ones stay in their own little group.

Over the past 20+ years I had many chickens. Only pets. I'm a City Slicker with limited backyard space. No roosters allowed.
I do not like feathered feet. The Cochin I had kept loosing toes for some reason,,, while the others chickens were just fine.
A Buff Orpington which I named Buffy......... Friendly.
A Black Australorp,, That I name Chernobyl... When I got her,,, she was in a BAD<<<<< MOLT :old :gig
I had a White Leghorn,,,, that I name Lucky,, Rescued from the butch.

No Favorolle or Plymouths yet.

My Silver Sebright lived to 13 years old. My Longest living chicken.
My current Living Geriatric, is a RIR, she will be 10 years this coming April 2022.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom