chicken breed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by taffy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. taffy

taffy Hatching

Feb 9, 2008
    Hi, I presently have about 60 laying hens, mainly Isa Browns with a few red Rock Cross, the rocks are picking on the Isa's, so will have to go.
    What I am wondering is, what breed of chicken should I be looking for.
    I live in Northern B.C, Canada, so cold winters, muddy break-up spring ground. So I need a clean limbed chicken, one that is a reliable layer, I have a lot of egg customers, so brown eggs preferably, tolerates cold well, I do heat my coops in the winter, and is nice to look at. Been looking at Wyandottes.
    Anyone have any suggestions, and I have to be able to find a breeder near me.
    Cheers...
    Thanks

2. taffy

taffy Hatching

Feb 9, 2008
    sorry , how do I change the computer generated password to something I might remember?
    Thanks.

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I live in Pennsylvania and it sounds like our winters and springs are about the same (well, yours are more than likely a bit more harsh). After my research, I'm looking at Wyandottes, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Black Ausrtalorps, Delawares and Orpingtons. If combs getting frost bite worry you, get a smaller combed breed.

ETA:
    You can change your password in the "Profile" section of the forum. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. I love my wyandottes (all hatchery stock) but I must say the blue laced red are my favorite not just for looks, but temperment. They are so sweet and mellow. The columbians are my least favorite, they are scrawney and flighty and don't like to lay where they should and are frequently going broody in spring, but failing to hatch anything. I think the gold laced are the sturdiest and most predator resistant- I have never lost one. The silver penciled seem to get sick the most Silver laced I can't say much about... mine all turned out to be boys.
    As for laying, I get about the average they say to expect, but its way up in spring and way down in winter, even stopping for a few weeks. But then again, I don't light them.

5. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] you'll enjoy it here!! [​IMG]

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:"I think the gold laced are the sturdiest and most predator resisant." Really?

9. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hello from Indiana

I think the black australorps would do well for you.

10. Ema

Ema Songster

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    [​IMG] fellow Canadian, [​IMG] I hope you are enjoying BYC and Glad you joined us.

I am from Northern Ontario,

Ema

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: