1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Breeder Alert

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angel_Feather, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Angel_Feather

Angel_Feather Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2009
    Dawsonville, GA
    We have a beautiful cockeral, with a full and bright comb, a healthy weight, no loss of feathers, shiny blue tail feathers, a black nape, and a black and white flecked back. He is an aracauna, and if you click on "Flock" in my signature, you'll see who it is.
    We want him to mate with the hens so we can have some beautiful chicks to sell, but he doesn't seem interested in them. Any advice??

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless he`s some freak of nature, he`s probably tapping those hens when you aren`t looking. If they are older than him, they may be rejecting him, but he will become a man in his time. Be patient..........Pop

3. Angel_Feather

Nov 20, 2009
    Dawsonville, GA
    No, they were all born together, and he has started to crow, so I know he can mate, but he won't.

Maybe your right, though. It just might be when I have my back turned. You never can tell with cocks.

4. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I thought for sure the roo we adopted out was not able to get anywhere near out "snotty" barred rocks, and yet I've gotten two fertilized eggs from her! Looks like she just like privacy!

5. Angel_Feather

Nov 20, 2009
    Dawsonville, GA
    So should I pen them up in a seperate coop together?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by