Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by FRANCOIS, Nov 9, 2011.

1. FRANCOIS

FRANCOIS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Trompsburg South Africa
    Hi you all,I was just wondering if their are anyone on this site who lives in South Africa and what chickens you are breeding?

1 person likes this.
  2. AndyCap

AndyCap Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Francois,

i live in SA (Joburg) am working on a silver and gold laced pekin project. What are you breeding?

3. blom545

blom545 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Cape Town,South Africa
    Hi I'm Dihan I live in the Overberg I breed a variety of chickens and then cross breed them I also have Venda and Boschveld chickens

4. AndyCap

hey all, just a quick update. i am breeding lavender and barred lavender frizzles, as well as partridge pekins now, and partridge frizzles in the future, also working on a gold and silver laced pekin project

1 person likes this.
  5. Maree

Maree New Egg

Nov 20, 2012
    Nairobi, Kenya
    I'm not quite in South Africa, but is Kenya close enough? I have a question about Mongoose proofing my chicken coop and thought maybe one of you could help me as you also have the little critters down there. Can I use chicken wire or will the mongooses just got through it?

6. blom545

blom545 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Cape Town,South Africa
    chicken wire will help but try digging about a meter into the ground and put the wire from ther on upwords it will prevent them from digging under the wire

1 person likes this.
  7. hedz82

hedz82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey,
    I am in Cape town, I don't breed, but am MAD about chickens!! I have three adopted hens, which I think are probably Hy lines from a commercial hatchery originally because two have slightly trimmed beaks the poor girls.They are so sweet and lay massive eggs every day! Look at poultryallsorts on the web, they are great, and have interesting breeds. Its a mission to get anything besides Koekoeks and RIR down here. In Joburg you can get Wyandottes and some more interesting breeds. I love boschvelders and the native breeds because they are genetically less compromised. Would love to try import some easter eggers and breed them with some indigenous strains for disease resistance.. but thats just a dream..

8. Annemarie

Annemarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Suid-Afrika
    Hey all how are you doing? I'm from bronkhorstpruit. Are u guys incubating? Enige iemand dalk afrikaans of net engels?

9. AndyCap

HI Annemarie, i have just finishing hatching for now. It gets a bit cold here soon, so i want the chicks fully feathered out before the end of April. Ek kan probeer om Afrkaans te praat, watter spesies is jy belangstel in? ek houe baie van klein pekins :)

10. Annemarie

Annemarie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Suid-Afrika
    At this state anything I have lots of space so I'm trying everything at this moment

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by