Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Oh please speak english guys I want to read as well!! My three girls are not impressed with the the rain, they always sit by the front door making me feel guilty for not letting them inside and snuggle up on the couch!

hi my flock is doing well I have 5 chicks that just hacthed and another hen sitting on 12 eggs they are coming out in about two weeks my flock is 60 hens with two big roos there are 12 young roos who i want to grow first

Morning all. My last batch chickens in the incubatot didn't go so well. Out of 50 eggs only 3 hatched for some reason.. Stil looking for some eggs to start again.. Have a nice day all

Morning all. My last batch chickens in the incubatot didn't go so well. Out of 50 eggs only 3 hatched for some reason.. Stil looking for some eggs to start again.. Have a nice day all
Hi Annemarie,

that is a shame, did you order them or were they given to you?

I have some i can give to you. I don't ship though, but i have black and partridge pekin eggs, also mottled pekin.

Oh sorry blom545 I just saw you are in the Overberg - not too far from me! relatively.. I love the indigenous breeds! The seem a lot more hardy and healthy! How many eggs do they lay on average and for how long? I am not sure what my three girls are because I adopted them, but they are either rhodies or hy-lines (the latter would be quite bad I think in terms of long term health).. We have a lot of wild guinea fowl that have become quite tame and hang around the house a lot and you can just see that the chickens feet are built quite badly in comparison. I am really worried they'll get arthritis or something when they get older, seeing these production hens are bred to only last about a year and a bit.. also have a mixed breed rooster and hes a lot more agile..

Hi lines are not always unhealthy. And they can last a very long time. The egg farms get rid of them after two years because they lay fewer eggs. But they can keep laying for at least five years. And can live to 7 or 8. I would love to have some rescue hens one day when I have more space.

Oh that is really good news!!! Thank you!!
big_smile.png
Do they slow down in winter or is that not really a factor? I've been missing a few eggs lately but they may be hiding them in a new place also...

Back
Top Bottom