Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by FRANCOIS, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Lino

Lino Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Germany, Stuttgart
    Thanks for the info. Obviously one has to declare the eggs as eating-eggs or even better as craft supplies. ;)

2. andries

andries New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    Hi all, recently joined the group. Bought 2 "mixed bantams" since these two where our "gate way" chick I am sure chicken math will quickly sort it out.
    Looking for some nice layers. Who in the Cape Town area, more specifically Northen Suburbs have anything nice and unusual?
    We are moving 1st of July so not looking for NOW just trying to get a feel for what is available.
    Cheers.
    Andries

3. Johannad

Johannad New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    South Africa
    Hallo. I'm also in ZA. The Winelands but I wont call myself a breeder. Have 2 lavender pekin bantam hens. A lavender cockerel. A mottled pullet. And 4 lavender chics. Love my birds.

4. andries

andries New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    A quick question. I had this agrument over the weekend. The word "kapokkie" does it refer to bantam or silkie?

5. Johannad

Johannad New Egg

Nov 11, 2014
    South Africa
    In my book a kapokkie is a small chicken. Can be any breed. Silkie. Bantam. Klein veghoendertjie. They all qualify as kapokkies?

6. HelenDescoins

HelenDescoins Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    I agree, here we say it meaning a bantam because they are so small

7. andries

andries New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    Ok great. Was my argument aswell. Almost got swayed to only Bantam silkies... haha. Thank you for the input.

8. Carin

Carin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    South Africa
    Andries and all in the Cape, remember the National Champs SASPO show in Bredasdorp from the 29th of June untill the 3rd of July

1 person likes this.
  9. hedz82

hedz82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Oh that's amazing!! Been waiting for a show in our area for ages! I'll be all over it like a bad rash![​IMG]

10. andries

andries New Egg

Apr 29, 2015
    Great. Will have to see how I can get there. Might have to make a weekend of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by