Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by FRANCOIS, Nov 9, 2011.

1. hedz82

hedz82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    He really is going to be gorgeous! He looks like he's silver laced!
    Do we get Easter eggers in this country? I tried to look for them a while ago and I think I found ONE breeder of Araucanas in SA. Which then I always think would be a problem with inbreeding potentially?
    I am not sure..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Hi hedz82, no actually never found any pellets only feed the laying mash and growing mash and chick chick fine as they are so small they can't manage the big corn. Well thank you for trying for me, we do have a place also about 1 hours drive away its a very fancy garden centre in Randpark Ridge they have a pet hyper maybe I can try there. Will let you know if I succeed - my sister in law lives in CT she is coming up in June I will ask her if she can get - do they deliver? because as much as I love her she is known for not going out of her way!!!!!!

I also think my roo is going to be silver laced, he is very handsome. Don't know about Araucanas/EE we are very limited here to the range of chickens, but I will check with the breeder up here she has lots of different chickens. When I started with chickens I had my heart set on Bantams and nothing else would do.!!!!

By the way, we have just got your bad weather - raining raining and wonderful high veld thunder storms...

[​IMG]

This is Roo 'holding the table up' while the thunder is roaring away outside

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  3. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Hi, tried every where for the water fowl pellets, Jo'burg stockists don't carry them as there is no call for them up here! but I did get the Parrot Museli which they said is a good supplement in the winter so will see if my picky chooks go for it.

4. hedz82

Oct 25, 2012
    They do deliver within Cape Town, their website is www.birdclinic.co.za, you get all the contact details there. Maybe they also know where to get some decent chicken food in your area or what you can safely feed as an alternative.. The vet Dr de Beer is amazing, such a sweet man, and he does phone consultations all over Africa because specialized bird vets are so scarce

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  5. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Thanks will get on to them today, chooks hated the museli!!! I will get some delivered to sister. Molly is seriously sitting on her eggs and its sooo cold here do you think she will be alright?

6. hedz82

Oct 25, 2012
    I think you should take her off. Unless you are dying to get babies right now?

7. hedz82

Oct 25, 2012
    Besides that I'd give her some extra water with electrolytes, and make sure she eats enough. Dr de Beer said spirulina is a great supplement for them for vitamins etc. I weigh my chooks regularly to spot if there's a problem. And I check their crops every morning because I have lost two to crop impaction. Call me anal but they are like my children and I couldnt bear losing one again

8. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Yes I think you are right, will give some heptonic will it distress her to move her off the eggs? to give it to her. She is very detrmined to lay so have left her to it, we could do with some more chooks,I got the Animalzone spirulina so will use that for all. I know they are just like children only better behaved!![​IMG] just was to show you our moon did post it under random ramblings but thought you might like to see an African strawberry Moon.

[​IMG]

The breeder up here hasn't come back to me about the Easter Eggers but she does take ages, don't think he reads her emails often!!

9. hedz82

Oct 25, 2012
    Haha, yes, I take chickens over children any day!! [​IMG] ..and I'm not kidding either! Just watch her, they can be very crafty when looking for brooding places.. Good luck!

10. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    [​IMG]

Better pic of baby roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by