Chicken breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenGuy53, Mar 9, 2015.

1. ChickenGuy53

ChickenGuy53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle of nowhere
    I want to breed specific chickens to specific roosters and I didn't know how long to take the chickens away from the other roosters so the chickens are laying unfertilized eggs and how long after the roosters have been in with them do they need to have to lay the fertilized eggs

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Hi there!! Well, a hen (from what i know) can keep her eggs fertilized without a rooster for up to 1 week!! So, I would sepreate them for one and a half to two weeks just to be sure, and then leave them with the roosters for as long as you are collecting the eggs just to be sure that they are fertile for the duration that you are collecting them!! But don't collect the eggs for lets say the 1st day that you but them together! Give them 1 day to get fertilized then start to collect them!!!!

3. ChickenGuy53

ChickenGuy53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    Middle of nowhere
    WESOME THANKS!!!!!

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's more like 2 or 3 weeks that a roosters sperm can stay viable within a hen.
    To make absolutely sure, I'd wait 3-4 weeks before gathering eggs for hatching.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Oh, what breed of chicken to you own??

I did a test and it was only 1 week at tops!!! I took eggs that were 3 days with a rooster then taking him away and for the rest i did the same with the 5 days, 7 days, 9 dyas and 12 days. I marked them, put them in the incubator and only the day 3+5 egg hatched, and 1 from the 7 days!!

maybe it is that i used Barnyard Mix, do you think becuase thye are a mic they hold the sperm for a fewer amiunt of time??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by