Chicken breeds for Incubating And Raising Quail Chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by YASIN, Nov 15, 2014.

1. YASIN

YASIN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Chittagong , Bangladesh
    Hello everyone

Although in some places i hav read not to keep quail near chickens , i hav found some sites whr they hav successfully hatched quail eggs under chickens (most mentioned bantams) and also raised them .....

I would like to know wat all breeds of chicken will be suitable for this purpose .... and also plz post some pics of those breeds as i am totally unaware of how different breeds look like and also bcuz we hav less options in our place ..... it would be better if someone from India or Bangladesh or around or even those who are knowledge-able about this region would also comment ...

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If you are going to attempt to hatch quail eggs under a hen, I would definitely use a Silkie. Silkies are unmatched when it comes to brooding and raising chicks. Our Black Silkies raised a number of broods. Good luck.

3. YASIN

YASIN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Chittagong , Bangladesh
    i dunno if silkies are even found in our place ... they are pretty rare ... although i did see them in Qatar .....

any other suitable breeds plz ??

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Cochin or Pekin Bantams would work the next best. They are also very good brooders and mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by