Chicken breeds that dont jump high

stav1981

Chirping
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Hi chicken lovers!

I have nearly finished my coop just 2 sides and finishing touches to go on, however I am now at the stage of wanting to install a fence, What breeds will not be able to jump high? I think I will have to clip the wings to be able to lower the fence height unfortunately.

Another question is, I have been recommended to get a high bred Sussex chicken (Originally I wanted Sussex Chickens) the reason being they are more hardy to disease and better layers. would this be correct?

My jersey giants, black astralorps, buff oppingtons, speckled sussex, cochin, & partridge rocks, don't mess with the fence. my americana on occasion fly over. These are on a 2 acre pasture, being with me in the yard is SO much better. Sigh....ok back to the pasture! I NEVER throw them back over the fence, as this teaches them that way. We go back through the gate! The heavier breeds will be less likely to fly over your fence. As for high bred sussex, I don't know. I have regular speckled sussex and like them. They are very friendly and pretty. Here are a couple pics

Agree. Go with the heavier dual purpose breeds. They are too heavy to fly over 2-3 feet. They will not be superior layers but they will still give you about 5 eggs a week and lay over a longer period than the egg layer breeds. There are plenty to choose from. Orpingtons, Wyandotte, Brahma and Cochins are ones I own that can't get out of a 4' run.

We use 4-foot fencing and everything we've had has escaped at least once. We once had a Buff Orpington injured by a raccoon so we kept her in a cage on our porch for several weeks while she healed. Of course she thought she lived there. After we tried to put her back in the coop, at night she would come walking back down the path and, if I sat quietly on the steps, hop up on my shoulder. Sorta touching although my wife got tired of me calling her "Buffy". She wasn't supposed to be a pet but she kept it up for a couple of weeks even with a clipped wing (or two, can't remember now). She couldn't clear the fence but she would fly at it and get enough traction to claw over it.

It's been a while and I can't remember if she just lost interest (broke my heart) or what but A) she was a Buff and B) she got out over a 4-foot fence regularly.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate experienced words of wisdom from this sites users :)

Sussex speckled are looking like my best choice, I like the idea of an English breed capable to stand the harsh winters and are reasonable to good layers. Are we generally agreeing this is the case?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate experienced words of wisdom from this sites users :)

Sussex speckled are looking like my best choice, I like the idea of an English breed capable to stand the harsh winters and are reasonable to good layers. Are we generally agreeing this is the case?
Yes I would agree, are you getting some different breeds too? How many chickens are you getting? I like a mixed flock, they look so pretty out in the pasture! I also researched breeds before jumping in, its a really good idea!! Are you getting chicks from a hatchery? I researched that as well...That greatly reduces the risk of bringing disease home. I will not allow new adult birds here. The best of luck to you! Its so exciting to raise chickens!

Our Jersey Giants and Wyndottes don't jump the fence now that they have reached full size, but for about 6 months or so, they could (and did). Our speckled Sussex is 4 mos old and follows the other pullets over the fence unless we string netting over it.

I am going to get 3 or 4 chickens, it looks as though I will be getting all sussex breeds, although I am slightly confused which now. speckled and light, brown and spotted there are so many varieties and It seems as though they are very similar??

Each seems to have their benefits so I think a mix will be fine. however I want to make sure they are all not capable of jumping my 4 foot fence. I will take the hatchery note into mind and am very aware i need to buy all of them at the same time.

Suggestions on which varieties would be great.

oh yes it says sussex get broody too, which breeds are less likely to do that?

oh yes it says sussex get broody too, which breeds are less likely to do that?
The light breeds are less broody,but they WILL fly high over your fence!! My speckled sussex and buff orpingtons are super friendly (they all are, really) They do not challenge the fence. I have a 12x24 covered run on the 9x15 coop and they get turned out to pasture every morning. I used to let them into my yard too but they started to wander too far. I chicken proofed my horse fence and trained them that the pasture was so much better. At first they were not happy that they could not go up front any more. They would walk the fence. I would walk and call them to the desired places like the manure pile by the shade tree. Boy do they love it there!! Now after 3 days they do not care about our front yard. They spread out in the morning all over the pasture...so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom