Chicken Breeds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pyotr Koecher, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Pyotr Koecher

Pyotr Koecher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2015
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Hullo friends! I have been raising chickens for about six years now. I have raised Buff Orpingtons, Rhode Island Red, Leghorns, and Americaunos. I have a friend that's thinking of raising chickens, but he only has a quarter of an acre. I was thinking of raising some Sussex chickens for him, as I have been told they do well in small places. Any suggestions? All are helpful, thank you!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid i have raised Sussex before so can't be if much help on that. You could stop by the breed section for reviews on them. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Lovely to hear your friend is going to chicken keeping a go. I'm sure you all be able to help very much. I've just got my mother set up with some and she is really enjoying them.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I have Speckled Sussex in my mixed flock and they seem to take up as much space as any of our other dual purpose birds. If space is an issue for your friend, why not look at bantams? There are all kinds of them any more and then maybe your friend could keep them at their place.

4. Skylercarr

Skylercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2015
    You can always get bantams. They don't need a lot of space.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The other members have given you a good suggestion on getting bantams if space is at a premium. Silkies are a very gentle and sweet breed that do not require as much space as most other chicken breeds. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Many of the popular breeds of chickens, also come in bantam editions - eat less, poop less, need less space, and generally accept confinement well. Chickens really do not need acres to free range, those usually end up ad predator meals. A good secure coop and run with cover would work out well for your friend.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by