1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cmarlowdrive, Mar 20, 2017.

1. cmarlowdrive

cmarlowdrive Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    Are some chicken breeds hardier than others? I seem to have selected the fragile breeds.
    After a year of my new chicken keeper hobby, I have lost a Brahma and a Wyandotte.
    My Swedish flower hen recovered from a broken pelvis, recovered once from a bought of vitamin Deficiency and is sick again with Vitamin Deficiency, now my Easter Egger is egg bound.

2. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    We have had really good luck with Australorps and chantecler chickens.

3. cmarlowdrive

Mar 29, 2016
    Ok, Thanks.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

I have all of those breeds and not a problem one... Also seemingly hardy to me are the Rocks.

At what stage did you loose your Brahma and Wyandotte? What are you feeding? Do you free range? What is your climate? How many birds do you have total? Where did you get your birds? Were they chicks when you got them?

You must be thinking about replacing them if you are asking about other breeds. Are you only wanting eggs? Or do you have other intents as well?

5. cmarlowdrive

Mar 29, 2016
    Thanks for advice.
    I lost my Brahma over thanksgiving @ 9 mo and the Wyandotte @ 1 year. I have a SFH suffering from vitamin deficiency. My girls are eating Super layer 22, and laying mash. They get fruit and vegetables during the week. They free range on weekends and 2 hours in the late afternoon in Central Alabama. I have 17 girls and they came from MPC. Not looking for anything specific, but, hardy would be at top of list next time.

6. EggSighted4Life

How is laying mash different from super layer 22? Do you have the tag for it with nutrient values?

I would think of all those breeds as being hardy.. but I could be wrong. Maybe just a fluke? Also, don't get your next ones from MPC would be my suggestion. They may not have the exact breeds you have in mind, but feed stores usually get shipments of different breeds every 2 weeks starting in early spring through about September. They absorb shipping losses and usually have a couple different hatchery sources. And when you do go, be sure and choose chicks that don't already have pasty butt.

Health and vigor are a great goal for any flock! Usually having many breeds will help with that.

7. EggSighted4Life

OH... NO SEX LINKS! To avoid egg binding, early burn out and other potential issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by