Chicken Breeds

cntrychick2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Guilford County, NC
What are your favorite breeds and why?

I like RIR's for their egg laying. I also think the RIR roos are very beautiful birds.

I am also partial to cochins... I just LOVE the way they look! Mine are still chicks, but from what I have read they are very friendly and I am looking forward to that!

I want to introduce some Ameraucanas to my flock. I have been looking on craigslist for some chicks... but all I can see to find are full grown hens and roos or eggs for hatching. I dont have an incubator, so hatching is not an option right now. Also, I really want to start with chicks so I can ensure they are very friendly and handled a lot.

I'd go with Easter Eggers - ours are super friendly, good layers, really pretty and their eggs are gorgeous - we get blue and olive from our two. Our Wyandotte's are nice hens but a bit standoffish, whereas the EE's practically jump in our laps and love to be held. They'll come in the house to say hi if I leave the door open.
We're getting some Polish in a few weeks - I've heard they are characters.

I've only had 3 chickens in only recent years so I have to say I loved both breeds.
big_smile.png

Chick-chick (RIP) was an awesome 20+lb Cornish X. Loved her, she was friendly, nosy, just like a puppy. Followed us everywhere.

Sienna and Tallulah are RSLs with very different personalities. Tallulah's friendly, Sienna's a snob.
lol.png
Love 'em both!

I have EEs and they are nice. I also have 3 red sex links and they are nice to me not to the EEs. Either would be good. Both have given me eggs throughout the cold winter despite the metal chicken shed they are locked in all day.

I have been debating adding 2-3 back to my group to make a total of 10. Maybe I will get some more EEs

My best layer is my dark cornish. She has given us 7 eggs a week since we got her over 3 months ago. She skipped 2 days in that time, but laid two eggs in one day later in the week! She is shy and does not love petting. She is not mean at all though.

I love my EE, they are sweet and pretty. I love my barred rocks! They are sweet, not laying yet, so not sure on that. And of my chicks, the Ancona is the sweetest, well and the EE!

I love my Australorp..Bella! Sweet personality...meets me at the door every morning waiting for her treat..will allow us to pick her up. I have a Light Brahama that is cute but is a little reserved and my RIR is well..the boss..miss prim and proper...still love her! That being said...they were all older when I got them and right now I am loving my 8 week old BO...such sweet little things..sweet,docile and loves to be held..will jump out on my shoulder while feeding and cleaning the pen...am thinking I am going to love the BO breed!

Back
Top Bottom